We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing the Paseo del arte

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing the Paseo del arte

Hi all,

I'm trying to buy the Paseo del Arte on the Prado tickets sales website, but I can't figure out exactly how it works. I understand that you can visit them on separate days, but on the website, it asks you which day you want to go and what entry time you want. I assume this is specific to your Prado entry. But does this mean you can go into the Thyssen and Reina Sofia other days at whatever time whenever you want? It's just a bit confusing to choose a day; we hope to go to one of the other two museums on the day before the Prado and want to make sure we can get in.

Thanks!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

According to the information I've read, it's good for up to a year. The times they ask you for on the Prado website is just to give them an idea of how many people will be visiting at a certain hour--but you're not obligated to get there for that time slot (according to their own site). Hopefully, somebody who has purchased and used it can give you a better explanation. One other thing about the combo ticket--it doesn't include the temporary exhibitions at the Thyssen museum, so you would miss the Dali exhibition that's on display there during the next few months.

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

Okay, thanks so much for the information! It was hard to tell if the entry times were hard and fast, and one place said the pass was good from "the date of emission" which I assumed to mean "the day of admission" but other places said from the day of purchase. I imagine it may still be a good deal to purchase the pass, even if you want to pay an additional fee to see the temporary exhibits. I think we will be missing the Dali exhibit by a few days sadly, though, so this might not even be an issue for us. If anyone else has purchased a pass online recently, I'd appreciate additional feedback!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,306 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

if you are a senior don't bother as entry is free or deeply discounted on site. We bought the pass because we thought we would skip the long lines with it -- but that is not so -- you have to stand in a long line at the Reina Sofia for example to convert the pass into an entry ticket. The Thyssen did not require that, but then there wasn't much of a line. At the Prado the line was very long at the first entrance but we did enter at a secondary entrance where the wait was not terribly long -- but we still had to line up to exchange our pass for a ticket.

We would have saved money and lost no time in just showing up and getting tickets.

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

So you had to get separate tickets for the Prado and the Reina Sofia? I thought you could get the payment confirmation converted to the scannable pass at the first place you went and then use the same pass at all three (that's what the information seemed to suggest). When did you go? And alas, we are not seniors and don't qualify for any of the discounts.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,306 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

no the pass is not a pass like say the Paris Museum pass -- it is a card with three little coupons that are exchanged for entry tickets. it was a real disappointment to us that our careful planning didn't matter and we still stood in lines to exchange these coupons for tickets. the line at the Reina Sofia was a different line than the general line but it was still very long as everyone who has any kind of coupons stands in that line. it wasn't the end of the world but to pay extra for something that we then didn't get i.e. easy access was a drag.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

We visited Madrid a few days back and bought the paseo del arte from the Reina Sofia Museum . You do not have to exchange the pass for entry tickets. They directly scanned the appropriate ticket for the appropriate museum and let us in. We did not have to exchange the coupons for tickets and entered all three museums directly without waiting.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,306 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

all I gotta say here is that we were turned away from entry at both the Reina Sofia and the Prado in May and required to go exchange our Passeo coupon for entry tickets -- the only museum that let us enter directly was the Thyssen

maybe they have changed the policy -- I hope so because the system we were subjected to was stupid -- but we tried entry with the passes and were not able to use them that way -- we purchased the pass at the Thyssen and it came with 3 detachable coupons, one for each museum

Edited: 30 September 2013, 12:23
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

The policy would seem to have changed recently. Ours came with three detachable passes and they just scanned them and let us in.

ny
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

We went to the Prado yesterday with our pass at 1300 hrs. No line at ticket window and when we showed our arte pass, told to go straight to entrance. No need to exchange for Prado ticket. They scanned bar code from ticket that we had used first at Thyssen. Onto Reina Sofia today.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,306 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing the Paseo del arte

glad they have changed this -- it was a very annoying 'pass' to have when we used it this spring