We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parque del Retiro Questions

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Parque del Retiro Questions

Hi. Does someone have a suggested itinerary for Parque del Retiro or the list of must sees in the park as well as time needed to visit? Also, is late afternoon (7-9pm) the best time of day to visit to avoid heat and still during daylight? Thank you very much.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,291 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

The most beautiful part of the El Retiro Park is the Crystal Palace.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-d191050/Madri…

Late afternoon is a good idea during summer. During spring, fall and winter you can go in the morning or afternoon.

Check the hours here:

www.inspain.org/es/sitios/parquedelretiro.asp

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

Thank you very much BennyMalaga. We'll schedule the Crystal Palace.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

Summer evenings are a great time in the park. Take a picnic from Megasand in nearby Calle Columela (just off Calle Serrano). No itinerary or schedule required - just enjoy strolling around and checkout the lakes, crystal palace and the Palacio de Velázquez, which houses small art exhibitions. Stop off at one of the many cafes for a refreshing horchata or granizada. Take out a rowing boat on the lake. Just chill and enjoy the evening sunshine.

Mentioned in this post
Serrano
Serrano
38 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

Here is one of many pages that lists attractions www.madridtourist.info/buen_retiro_park.html In addtion to known attractions there are lots of unnamed examples of beautiful garden design

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
670 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

Depending on when you're going, I love the rose garden.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

Thank you all for your tips. Picnic idea sound great.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

It's also not a bad idea to go during the middle of the day or afternoon so that you CAN escape the heat. There's lots of shade, and so it's nice to find a patch of grass under the shade to just relax, take a nap, read a book, enjoy being outdoors, etc.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

As a very frequent visitor to Madrid I found retiro park to be very boring. If you have children it would be a good idea to go and take the long walk from atocha to calle alcala to visit the crystal palace, the Velasquez exhibition and the lake.

To me there are better things to do in Madrid and many visitors do not really have the time for retiro park. It can take at least 2-3 hours to go through and visit retiro park.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
670 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

ptgita made me think about Retiro and I have to agree. I too visit Madrid often (once or twice a year) to visit my daughter and her family. Were I visiting as a tourist, I'd not spend time in Retiro either. I like the park and take the grand kids there to play; we will sit and watch people at the lake, but so much else in Madrid.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parque del Retiro Questions

I like the sound of the picnic idea. We're going in August, & whilst i realise there are loads of restaurants, bars, etc, would you be allowed a bottle of wine, or a couple of beers in the park with your picnic?