We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child's passport

belfast
Level Contributor
159 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Child's passport

Hi we travel to benidorm at the end of July and return again in august. My daughters passport expires in January and just wanted some advice on wether it would be best to renew it before we travel. Many thanks

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Child's passport

No need it will be fine to use up to the date it expires but assuming you are eligible I would be applying for a republic of Ireland Passport to remain an EU citizen.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 00:26
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Child's passport

Alleykat, why do you say that? My wife has Eire passport, I have UK one but can get an Irish one. What would the benefits for me?

Paul

belfast
Level Contributor
159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child's passport

Why would I want an Irish passport when I am british. Ireland is a completely different country to where I live

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Child's passport

A Republic of Ireland passport allows you to travel and work freely throughout the EU after Brexit

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
belfast
Level Contributor
159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child's passport

A British passport will also allow me to travel anywhere I like to does it not

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Child's passport

If you don't know what the difference will be between a UK passport and an EU passport after brexit then I will give up trying to explain

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:55
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child's passport

You are wasting your time, it’s against their religion to have anything Irish

belfast
Level Contributor
159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child's passport

What has religion got to do with it when talking about passports ya dummy

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child's passport

Because you muppets won’t even admit you’re Irish ya clown

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,442 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Child's passport

Perhaps the question is already based on confusion over Brexit?

At the moment, the UK is still an EU Member State, and an EU citizen travelling within the EU (e.g; to Spain) only requires a passport or (for other Member States' citizens) national ID card that is valid for the duration of their stay in another EU country. As your stay in Spain appears to end in August 2018, and the passport expires in January 2019, 5 months later, clearly that is no problem under the current rules.

However, once the UK has left the EU (in March 2019?), the UK will be a "third country'" (i.e. non-EU) for Spain, and the same rules will apply to UK nationals as to other non-EU citiizens, e.g. Americans and Australians; who have to present passports with 6 months' validity beyond their intended stay. Therefore, if this situation had arisen AFTER Brexit, you WOULD, travelling on a UK (so non-EU) passport, have needed to get a new one if it had less than 6 months to run.

Whereas, those travelling to Spain on Irish passports will of course continue to be covered by the present regime.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 09:16
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm