We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Itinerary - Italy

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
31 reviews
Europe Itinerary - Italy

Hi there,

A family member has put together this itinerary which I want some feedback on please. Is it better to stay in fewer places for a longer time or do you think there are the right amount of travel and activity days? Also included are some questions which you may be able to help with. I would really appreciate your constructive input on this, thanks.

Saturday 22 July Arrive in London 11:30 am REST

Sunday 23 July London

Monday 24 July London

Tuesday 25 July Travel to Paris

Wednesday 26 July Paris

Thursday 27 July Paris

Friday 28 July Travel to Marseille/Nice

Saturday 29 July

Sunday 30 July

Monday 31 July

Tuesday 1 August Travel to Rome

Wednesday 2 August

Thursday 3 August

Friday 4 August

Saturday 5 August Travel to Amalfi Coast

Sunday 6 August

Where is a good base and is two days enough here?

Monday 7 August

Tuesday 8 August Travel to Sicily Is there an express train from the coast to Sicily?

Wednesday 9 August

Thursday 10 August Ferry day trip to Malta

Friday 11 August

Saturday 12 August Ferry to Greece (Or is it better to fly?)

Kalispell, Montana...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

longer in less places it usually better. both London and Paris are huge and I just don't see 3 nights (2 days) each being enough to even bother with the extra transport. same with Sicily and Malta. really if you can't have at least 3 nights (for the smaller places, more for the major ones) it is not probably going to be worth all the travel time and checking in and out just to get there. With only 3 weeks you could make a very nice Italy vacation (or France or the UK) with 3-5 stops but I can't see doing multiple countries with this time frame.

California
Level Contributor
12,852 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

ok....are these places you wish to visit or has someone else thought you'd like to go to them? Firstly, the SCOPE of your trip is huge....you have 3 weeks (21 nights) for England, France, Italy and Sicily and then continuing on to Greece (for how long and where are you flying home from?). Longer in less places is best; one can always take a day trip.

Travel time is always more than the posted train schedule, so plan 1/2 day when changing destinations within a country and possibly more when going to another country. You need to know if you're taking trains or flying with all these changes.

That means that 3 nights somewhere - for example - does not equal 3 days in the location; it is 2-2.5 days and that's because you have to get there from your previous destination. Currently, you have only 2-2.5 days for London. When you read in your guidebook, is that enough time for you to see and do what you're interested in? Then you travel to Paris for 3 nights but again, that's only 2-2.5 days for Paris!! Perhaps you'd like more time there? Then you're off to Nice for 3.5 days/4 nights...then all the way to Rome (are you flying?) for only 3.5 days/4 nights, then on the trains again over to the Amalfi Coast for only 3 nights (which is 2 days)....Plan 4 nights at a minimum as it is cumbersome to get in and out of and once there, you will wish for some time. I would be exhausted by this time.

Personally, I find trying to cram in Sicily, which is a large island, way too much. No, there isn't an "express train" to it or we'd all be taking it and Sicily would begin to change, perhaps not for the better. I would drop Sicily for this trip OR drop Nice in order to visit Sicily. Sicily is a two-week destination but one week is doable in one region. Take a deep breath....read up in your guidebook....pare down and create an enjoyable adventure.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

You're not going to have much time to see a lot of things with that itinerary. Just saying, "We saw it," doesn't mean you got to spend some time, go inside, or enjoy it. Save some time for soaking in some things. Sitting in a French café enjoying a leisurely coffee or glass of wine, or sitting in a little piazza in Italy and doing the same thing, perhaps after a leisurely lunch. It's not The Amazing Race, it's vacation.

CA
Level Contributor
11,484 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

Looks like you can fly Qatar into Milan or Rome. Open jaw I would do Milan first.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,962 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

To get the best out of europe, consider spending a week in three countries www.visitbritain.com www.visitlondon.com UK trains www.nationalrail.co.uk

www.france.com www.parisinfo.com French trains www.voyages-sncf.com

Italy www.italia.it Italian trains www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en Enter time 08.00 for current Italian train schedule.

Trains London to Paris www.eurostar.it Flights France to Italy www.easyjet.com www.vueling.com

Italy to Athens www.aegeanair.com

Accommodation www.booking.com

Edited: 20 January 2017, 12:56
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,962 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

London to Paris www.eurostar.com

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

Thanks for the advice. I actually didn't include the itinerary following Greece. They fly out of London on September 1st so I will probably take on board the advice and extend the length of time spent in cities and smaller places as well. Thank you.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

Thanks for the advice. It is clear they're (sadly I'm not going :( ) wanting to see far too many places in too little time.

After Italy they wanted to see Greece and Croatia and maybe a couple more countries in about 16 days! I think it will be better to extend the length of time they stay in the places they really want to visit and scrap some of the other places. It will be hard to do this but will make the trip more relaxing and less tiring.

They're got 42 days and want to see England, France, Italy, Greece and Croatia (and maybe more). That's

about a week per country. Add in the fact that they want to see more than one place in each country, then it becomes even more impossible.

9. Re: Europe Itinerary - Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2018, 14:16