We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia, advance booking required?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Trenitalia, advance booking required?

HI guys

I will be traveling to Italy and visting milan, venice and florence. Is advance booking required for Trenitalia? How often does the ticket sold out for a particular time and day?

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
303 reviews
1. Re: Trenitalia, advance booking required?

If possible book at least the day before if you want a particular train. For a really good answer to this look up the trains in italy post. Ciao

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Trenitalia, advance booking required?

Here is what I wrote that keenvisito referenced.

There is 1 train company that you will be using.the Italian rail line Trenitalia. The trains are on time and comfortable with decent bathrooms etc.

You can buy your tix when you are IN Italy.

There is no pass just buy tix for each journey.

IF you buy at least 24hrs. ahead of time you may be able to use the AMica discount fare so you could buy all your tix when you arrive and be set.

2nd class is just fine. The eurostar trains (ES) have tickets that also include a specific seat assignment . These are the fastest trains. You can buy at the train station using cash or credit card from either a ticket agent who will speak English, or from a ticket machine with instructions in English. There also may be a travel agent near your hotel who can sell these tix without any added fees. IF you buy on line from a company like raileurope you will be paying extra fees as it is a travel

company.

Most of the time the trains do not sell out but if they do then there will be another train. They are frequent and reliable. You can buy all the tix at one time if you know exactly when you'd like to go.

The only time I had trouble buying right before I got on the train was on a Friday afternoon going from Florence to Bologna,same train continues on to Venice.

3. Re: Trenitalia, advance booking required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 12:26