We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

Hi all, below is a segment of itinerary I need some advice with.

Wednesday 14th Morning train Assisi to Florence

Assisi 09:25 - Firenze S.M.N. 11:57 (Booked)

Thursday 15th Florence

Friday 16th Tuscany day trip or overnight stay?

Saturday 17th Tuscany to Florence to Cinque Terre?

Sunday 18th Cinque Terre

Monday 19th Cinque Terre to Milan (Should we stop off at Genoa for the night)

Tuesday 20th Milan to Venice

Thursday 22nd Venice to Santorini

Friday 23rd GREECE (Santorini)

- Would you recommend an overnight stay in Tuscany or just a day trip?

- Is it too much to travel in a day (Saturday 17/09) from Tuscany to Cinque Terre?

-Is it possible to fit a trip to Genoa on the way to Milan?

We intend to fly out of Venice either on the Thursday or Friday.

Thanks in advance.

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP Early...
61 Reviews
from US$375.20*
US$535.90
Best Seller
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
24,138 Reviews
from US$74.00*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
12,131 Reviews
from US$58.50*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,809 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

Tuscany is region in Italy of which Florence is a part of. Where else in Tuscany do you plan to visit? Without knowing that it's really impossible to suggest if you should do an overnight or go back to Florence. Also, depending on where you visit in Tuscany you can take the train from there to the CT.

Personally, I think your entire itinerary is too rushed. You have a single day day in Florence, a day trip into other parts of Tuscany, a travel day, a single full day in the CT, a travel day to either Milan or Geono, a partial day in Milan and a partial day in Venice. You have 6 days with 6 different locations listed. I would cut out at least half of what you have listed.

Donna

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,610 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

I count possibly 8 locations in basically 10 days. Way too much. Some places you should spend more time such as Venice. You have not incorporated the travel time which can be extensive such as going to and from Cinque Terre. Every time you move you will basically spend half a day on the road or more.

You seriously need to curtail back and slow down. Prioritize you locations.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

I'm trying to work from this itinerary: thetrustedtraveller.com/italy-train-two-week… which I thought wasn't too bad for two weeks (13 days). Is this not a good idea?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,809 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

6 locations in 13 days is crazy to me. Why come all the way to Italy to run through these wonderful cities? With 2 weeks the most I would try to visit would be 4 cities and even that is pushing it. If all you want to do is check things off a list then this would be a good itinerary. If you want to enjoy a trip to Italy it's just too packed with too many location changes.

Donna

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,809 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice

That website is really not the best to go to for information. Firstly, they are not sending you to the official rail companies for Italy. Use either

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

or

http://www.italotreno.it/?sc_lang=en

to book all train travel in Italy. You can book up to 120 days in advance and take advantage of huge savings on tickets.

The itineraries listed for each city are the most basic you can get. They include only the most crowded of tourist sites and mention nothing of the hundreds of other wonderful sites worth seeing in each city. I suggest getting a good guide book to help you pick the sites that are of interest to you.

Donna

California
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice

hi: you have actually 7.5 days in Italy and are considering 6 destinations (Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Genoa, Milan and Venice). It's time to be realistic. Yes, your proposed itinerary has too many destinations in a too limited timeframe. You will be packing and unpacking, changing hotels and standing in train stations ALL the time.

Firstly, there is travel time in between each change in destination, plus 1 hr before train travel and 1 hr afterward. It is always more than the scheduled train time when you move about from place to place. 1 night somewhere does not equal 1 day; it is 1/2 day and that's because you have to get there from your previous place.

1 night somewhere = 1/2 day

2 nights = 1 day

3 nights = 2 days

I feel you would greatly benefit from reading up in a guidebook about the destinations you are interested in...if you did so, you probably wouldn't create a plan that has you moving every day....these destinations are amusement parks where you can pop in for a ride or two and then leave...for the most part, they are world famous historical cities with a lot going on.....so you need to pare down; you can't see it all in a week. Also, Tuscany is a region; what destination did you have in mind? A map of Italy will help put things in perspective too. If you are flying out of Venice, then I highly recommend you base in Florence and Venice and take reasonable wonderful day trips.

EXAMPLE of 8 days/8 nights, with travel time:

--arrive Florence 1/2 day

--Florence 3.5 days/4 nights (day trip to Siena, bus day tour to Cinque Terre, 1.5 days FL)

--train to Venice 1/2 day

--Venice 3.5 days/4 nights (day trip to islands, 2.5 days Venice)

--fly out Venice

Edited: 23 July 2016, 09:12
California
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice

i mean to write "these destinations are Not amusement parks....."

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice

Friday 9th Fly Dubrovnik to Rome

Saturday 10th Rome

Sunday 11th Rome – Day trip to Pompeii

Monday 12th Sept Rome

Tuesday 13th Sept Morning train Rome to Assisi

Wednesday 14th Morning train Assisi to Florence

Thursday 15th Florence

Friday 16th Tuscany

Saturday 17th Tuscany

Sunday 18th Tuscany

Monday 19th Venice

Tuesday 20th Venice

Thursday 22nd Venice

Friday 23rd Greece

Much of an improvement?

California
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice

good work...much better in my opinion

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice

I admit I'm not actually going on this part of the journey (hence it's not very organised/well-planned) and have just been given a list of places. I will definitely need to do some more reading up on the above places.

They're wanting to stay in a home-stay in Tuscany so if you have any recommendations. Also they could potentially do a day trip (missed out Wednesday 21) to a somewhere near Venice.

At this stage, the itinerary skips CT and Milan but leaves more time for the main cities.