We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?

NYC
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?

Greetings all!

Please let me know your thoughts about the best Luxury Hotels on the island.

As far as I can tell, the top two options are Regina Isabella and Mezzatorre. But maybe there's something else that I'm missing?

I tried searching but the latest thread on this topic is from 2008 and I'm sure much has changed since then in terms of the hotel scene.

After doing extensive research I am leaning towards Regina Isabella. It seems to be more renovated overall and I prefer the old world glamour vibe. The rock beach seems lovely as well.

Appreciate your advice in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Mezzatorre Resort and Spa
418 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
5 replies to this topic
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?

Hi, you've answered your own question :) If you like Old World interiors, then go for Albergo della Regina Isabella. Also their gourmet restaurant, Indaco, is one of the best in the whole region.

Mezzatorre is definitely not Old World but is blessed with an unbeatable location within one of the most scenic bays (if not the most scenic one) in the island. It's also quite secluded, being perfect for those seeking the ultimate Mediterranean escapade yet a bit uncomfortable (logistics-wise) for those who like exploring different sites.

Have you checked Albergo San Montano too? Another great location (Baia di San Montano), yet the aesthetics are more on the old school side. Miramare Resort in Sant'Angelo is a good compromise as well, neither contemporary sleek nor Old World hotellerie, but it features strong Mediterranean aesthetics.

Mentioned in this post
L'Albergo della Regina Isabella
L'Albergo della Regina...
378 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Indaco
Indaco
204 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
418 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
San Montano Resort & SPA
San Montano Resort & SPA
468 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Sant'Angelo
Sant'Angelo
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
NYC
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?

Thank you so much for your response and recommendations Kuroneko_89!

Perhaps I should rephrase, while I appreciate old world aesthetics it is also important for me that a property is up to date in terms of renovations and amenities and isn't too tired, solely relying on its bygone glory. I also tend to be a little weary of hotels that rely too much on their location. Many years ago I stayed at the Ceasar Augustus in Capri and felt that aside from the view (which is admittedly probably the best I have ever seen), the hotel was lacking in details and TLC to justify the high price.

Between Regina and Mezzatorre, which hotel would you say has a better beach/water and spa facilities/offerings?

We'll probably end up renting a car to explore the island a little bit, but will plan to spend the majority of the time at the hotel on the beach for relaxation.

Hopefully the weather will still be hot in mid September!

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
418 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?

Oh I see, and I fully endorse your reasoning. Despite we - I mean here, in my region, especially in the Bay of Naples and in the Amalfi Coast - have great luxury hotels, but the owners (or the companies owning them) often rely on their unique location and on their past glory, without updating the facilities and the decor. And still they get raving reviews. For instance I remember clearly when several years ago I went with my parents to Hotel Santa Caterina in Amalfi, one of the most acclaimed properties in Italy. Luckily it was just for lunch: zI was so disappointed by that hint of negligence reigning all over the property, with the chipped/ruined outdoor furniture, or the very dull (if not bad restaurants). And we're talking about a hotel whose rooms cost bazillions euros per night.

Luckily in last years there have been many interesting renovations or new openings, probably in order to satisfy a new generation of young-ish, yeat wealthy worldwide travellers. I am amazed by the renovations at San Pietro in Positano, a former pompous, pretentious misplaced ritzy luxury hotel finally converted into an exquisite Mediterranean buen retiro, as it was supposed.to be.

And I perfectly know how do you feel about Caesar Augustus, I've always found that property like relying on their glory and on the fact they're part of Relais & Chateaux. It's a hotel with a great potential tho.

But with L'Albergo della Regina Isabella you don't go wrong, it features Old School interiors but it's still an updated facility. If you like this kind of hotels check also Grand Hotel Cocumella near Sorrento, it's the epitome of the Grand Tour hotel, and also has one of a kind private beach (a sandy beach blessed with pristine seawater).

Talking about beaches, a few words about beach facilities and locations. Both L'Albergo della Regina Isabella and Mezzatorre have artificial platforms, although L'Albergo della Regina Isabella has a sandy beach portion. But while L'Albergo della Regina Isabella is located right in the centre of Lacco Ameno, a not so appealing town (despite some interesting features, like the Archeological Museum and Santa Restituta church), with boats passing literally in front of the hotel, Mezzatorre has a secluded location amid nature, in that enchanting spot which is Baia di Mezzatorre (which gives the name to the resort), and it's surrounded by the luscious Mediterranean greenery typical of Zaro cape. Among these two, I would certainly choose Mezzatorre for the beach facilities. Have you considered splitting your stay in both the hotels? They're very different facilities, each of them with different perks, indeed.

A good compromise, as suggested before, would be Albergo San Montano (Small Luxury Hotels member), located near Lacco Ameno, not far from the town proper but located in a more secluded setting, the aesthetics featuring typical Mediterrean elements. Also from there you have direct access to San Montano beach, one of the most beautiful in the whole island.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Hotel Santa Caterina
Hotel Santa Caterina
812 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Caesar Augustus Hotel
Caesar Augustus Hotel
1,052 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
378 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Grand Hotel Cocumella
Grand Hotel Cocumella
345 Reviews
Sant'Agnello, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
418 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Lacco Ameno
Lacco Ameno
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Hotel Zaro
Hotel Zaro
171 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
San Montano Resort & SPA
San Montano Resort & SPA
468 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?

We stayed at the Grand Excelsior in Ischia Ponte and really enjoyed it. It has traditional decor but modern as well. We had a huge room with balcony overlooking pool, Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. Beautiful bathroom too. The pool and gardens are stunning and there is wonderful pool service for food and drink all day. Venture through their private gardens to their private beach club with beach side dining as well. (Beach is sand which we enjoyed having come from Positano) There is also an indoor thermal pool and spa which is lovely. We are planning a return to Ischia and started to look into some of the aforementioned hotels but decided to go back to the Grand Excelsior for its attentive staff and service, great location, pool/beach and immaculate surroundings. And that terrace view -- sunsets were stunning!

Mentioned in this post
Ischia
Ischia
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Naples
Naples
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Syracuse, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?

Good morning,

you surely found the best luxury hotels in the Island.

We think kuroneko_89 have said already a lot about different points.

We can say, in addition, that the main differences between L'Albergo della Regina Isabella and Mezzatorre consist in their position. The Regina Isabella is at the center of Lacco Ameno (Santa Restituta's square), so you can walk along the full of shops and restaurants avenue, has two private sand beaches (in additio to equipped docks) and you can breath the spirit of 60s and having high standard services at the same time.

We hope to see you soon.

Warm regards

Vincenzo Fortuna - Digital Marketing Strategist - Regina Isabella Hotel

Edited: 11 June 2018, 15:25
Mentioned in this post
378 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
418 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Lacco Ameno
Lacco Ameno
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Reply to: Luxury Hotels -Regina Isabella or Mezzatorre?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;