We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides at Pompaii

Manchester
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Guides at Pompaii

Hi

I am going to Pompeii and Vesuvius at the beginning of July by car and was wondering if anyone knows how much it cost to get a guide at the entrance.

Also I would welcome any suggestions

Thanks

Phil

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
4 replies to this topic
Brisbane
Level Contributor
196 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides at Pompaii

Hi Phil,

You can definitely pick up a guide at either entrance. I can't remember the exact cost for a guide but it is a fixed price per group so we hesitated to pay it for just two of us. The guide then found a group of four who were prepared to do the tour in English and we split the cost across three couples. We went to the secondary entrance which was quieter.

Mt Vesuvius is amazing but they stop taking people up after a certain time of day. You then have a fixed time to be back down to the carpark for your allocated pickup.

brisbane
Level Contributor
366 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides at Pompaii

In March this year, we were initially quoted E15 each for a group of 9 people. We found another family at the gate who were also looking for an English tour to make up the initial 9. Another group joined our group just as we were starting and we did quietly receive a small discount from the guide, as we had our 3 kids with us. Don't be afraid to ask people around you if they are interested to join in.

We went in and asked at the office to the side of the ticket office and the attendant introduced us to a guide. We were lucky too, as he did the two hour tour, but as he had a group booked for a certain time, he gave us the option of an extra half hour for free (which everyone took). So ask lots of questions and be into it - you never know your luck!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,586 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides at Pompaii

You can get a guide at the entrance of Pompeii.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Manchester
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guides at Pompaii

Thanks for that, couple of questions if you do them both on the same day which would you do first and how long should I leave for Vesuvius?

Reply to: Guides at Pompaii
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;