We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii to Vesuvio

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii to Vesuvio

I am in Pompeii with a fold up bicycle. I want to go to Vesuvio see the volcano BUT take the bus back to Naples with my gear. Can this be done. Or can I ride my bike from Vesuvio to Naples.

3 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,727 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii to Vesuvio

https:/…pompeii_vesuvius_bus.html

"Pompeii to Mount Vesuvius

Pompeii is further from Mount Vesuvius than the main alternative access options from Ercolano station.

From Pompeii station there is a tourist service up to Mount Vesuvius with ticketing at the station or you can walk 15 minutes into the town of Pompeii where a public bus service runs from in front of the main gates into the Pompeii ruins (not the entrances near the railway station).

Busvia del Vesuvio

The purpose-designed vehicles of Busvia del Vesuvio are certainly the most professional and the proposition being offered is also the best described in advance.

Departures run hourly from 9am to 3pm in 23-seat, air-conditioned vehicles.

The trip length is 2.5 hours and you can make reservations in advance on their website.

EavBus/ Sita Public Bus

The local bus company, EavBus/ Sita operate a timetabled bus service between Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius. The same buses are used on this route as any other public bus service in and around Pompeii.

The bus service runs crudely every 50 minutes through the day.

The bus stop is on the Piazza Anfiteatro, immediately outside the main entrance to Pompeii ruins. Note, this is not the entrance by the Pompeii Circumvesuviana Station but is within the town centre of Pompeii, a good 15 minute walk from Pompeii Circumvesuviana Station.

The touts that roam the streets pushing tours to Mount Vesuvius may tell you the public bus only runs at the height of the summer season very infrequently - don't believe them.

You pay the driver as you board just like any public bus service and you buy Mount Vesuvius tickets when you arrive.

The buses might not be in pristine condition and the driver provides no commentary but this option is certainly the cheapest and gives you full flexibility on how much time you spend on Mount Vesuvius."

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii to Vesuvio

Thank you for the information

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,727 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply