We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

I will be in arrive in Fiumicino Airport and will have about 10 hours in Rome.

How far is Rome City Centre from Fiumicino Airport?

Will I have time to visit one or two places in Rome in these 10 hours?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

By train, it is 31 minutes to Roma Termini in the center of Rome with the Leonardo Express that costs 11 Euro and 26 minutes to Roma Trastevere with a more frequent train that costs 5.50 Euro. From Roma Trastevere, you can take a tram to the historic center.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
9,960 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

I suggest to take the train FR1 (the cheaper one, 5.50 euros) to Roma Ostiense. From Ostiense you can have a walk to the quarters Aventino, Celio and to the central archaeological area (Coliseum and Forum). The same train stops also in Trastevere, and Trastevere would be another good option - but the historical quarter Trastevere itself is not so near the railway station Trastevere, you'd have to take the tram 8. It depends on what you prefer to see, the archaeological sites and the green oasis of Aventino or the popular soul of Trastevere (without forgetting some amazing monuments like the church Santa Maria in Trastevere). Anyway, I would avoid the train Leonardo Express, too expensive and not so useful for your trip.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,396 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

I would suggest taking the train to Ostiense, then the metro to the Colosseum stop. Don't get tickets to enter any of the sites, but walk around and see the Colosseum, Constantine's arch, the Roman Forum (from the street above) and the Imperial Forums and Trajan's Market (on the other side of the street from the Roman Forum. Then take the metro on to Termini station, change lines, and get off at Barberini. From here you can walk to Trevi Fountain, then on to the Pantheon (definitely go in) and Piazza Navona. After this, walk to Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and take the number 64 bus to the Vatican. Admire St. Peter's Basilica and the Piazza. You should definitely try to go inside; it's free and the security line moves fast.

At this point, if it's not time to head back to the airport yet, you could walk to the Tiber, turn right, and walk along the river to Trastevere. You might even have time for a quick meal. Then take a taxi to Trastevere station and return to the airport. I would count 2 hours for ancient Rome, 1 1/2 hours for the historic center, and 1 1/2 hours for the Vatican. Add 2 hours for travel to and from the airport; it should take less, but just to be safe, pad it.

Malta
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

I would like to go from Fiumicino Airport to train stop nearest to Pantheon. At which station should I stop? How far is this station from Pantheon? How frequent are the trains?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,396 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

I would suggest taking the FM1 train (not the Leonardo Express) to the Trastevere stop. From there, take the number 8 tram to Largo Argentina (the last stop). The Pantheon is a short walk from Largo Argentina. There are only two train lines from the airport, so just be sure not to take the Leonardo Express. The tram stop is outside the station, across the piazza. Get the tram with destination Largo Argentina.

6. Re: How far is Fiumicino Airport from Rome City Centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 12:17