We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about staying

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Worried about staying

I have booked an apartment on Vico Del Fornaro.

I read a couple of reviews on the apartment and it seemed ok but when I looked some more, it seems I’ve picked the worst part of Genoa to stay in. I’ve read about prostitution, drug dealers, gangs etc and that people do not feel safe in this area. I’ve booked for a family break.

Does anybody know this area and specifically this street?

My booking is non refundable and we’re all terrified we will have to lock ourselves inside at 7pm each evening!

Any knowledge about the place would be appreciated so much!

25 replies to this topic
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: Worried about staying

Have you booked through an agency? If yes, maybe contact them to see if you can switch apartments? If not maybe take your loss? Ihave no knowledge of this street, but having once stayed in a Street in Valencia with drugusers and prostitutes I understand your worries.

2. Re: Worried about staying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2018, 03:13
Edited: 12 June 2018, 03:13

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Worried about staying

Thanks for your replies. We have decided to cut our losses and not go.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
4. Re: Worried about staying

I am straight from Genova living in the US and, yes the old part of the city can be a little shady after dark but I have never felt unsafe . Just use common sense and you will be fine . Beside it is beyond beautiful and a little decadent! Have fun with your stay!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,838 posts
476 reviews
5. Re: Worried about staying

If it's a family break and you;re worried then it makes sense to either not go at all, or to change your accommodation to somewhere you feel more comfortable.

I don't think you'd have a good trip if you aren't going to feel safe.

1 post
6. Re: Worried about staying

sorry if this a little late. I think I know the apartment you are talking about as I have recently stay in a hotel just down the street. Everything you have heard is true. The street that the apartment is down is very bad. There are large groups of African migrants that hang around there 24/7 outside a makeshift mosque that seems to act as their HQ. There are prostitues on a few corners of the street all times of the day not just at night. Constantly smells of human waste. I also have not seen any police in this area the entire time I've stayed there. Such a shame that an area with such rich history now feels like a 3rd world country :(

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Worried about staying

@Grant "Such a shame that an area with such rich history now feels like a 3rd world country"...well, that area - presumably - always looked like that. You would have found harlots and scoundrels already in the Middle Ages, in Modern Age, or 50 years ago. It's history, not opinions.

Generally speaking, it's always better to avoid lodgings out of main streets in unsanitized districts of historical towns, especially Mediterranean seaports like Naples herself, Genoa or Marseille. Narrow, dark alleys have always been an ideal hideout for outcasts of any sort, where they could make their business without being noticed. And so it happens still nowadays in those cities where historical, popular districts have not been "sanitized", (literally and metaphorically).

Edited: 12 June 2018, 05:24
Turin
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
1 review
8. Re: Worried about staying

Am I the only one noticing that African immigrants an night ladies have been put in the same basket? None did something illegal (ladies included), they just dared exist during someone's vacations.

Imagine somebody writing " there were anglo-saxons standing in front of a protestant church that may have been their HQ. What a shady neighborhood".

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Worried about staying

No, you’re not the only one who noticed NapOrsoCapo. It’s also very strange that there were people from different parts of the world in a large port city.

I didn’t comment earlier as I didn’t know the particular lane / alley. However, Genova is one of our favourite Italian cities to visit. (I would say that, of all British cities, it’s most similar in feel to Liverpool. Which we also enjoy.)

Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
10. Re: Worried about staying

Hello Blucello, Tripadvisor forum rarely mention Genoa. I gather you are from the US and you love Genoa. Im driving from Montepulciano to St Remy France in August. Since its kind of far. I want to stop off at the Italian Riviera for two days. From googling Genoa. By pre booking a hotel in town and try to get there intimidates me. Finding a hotel by the harbor and then following the map and the roads. The roads seem to be always the wrong direction. Its intimidating. Do yo drive while in Genoa. What is your opinion of it.

Right now, I plan to stay at a hotel in Rapallo. Its easier to get to. Do you have an opinion of Rapallo and its surrounding area.

Reply to: Worried about staying
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Genoa