We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genoa Airport to Rail Station--Brignole or Principe?

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Genoa Airport to Rail Station--Brignole or Principe?

We are travelling to Cinque Terre, landing in Genoa. We have a few hours and want to see as much as we can of Genoa (we are travelling home via Florence, so this is our only chance).

The airport bus stops at both train stations, Principe and Brignole, and we can get to La Spezia from a train departing either of those stations.

I can't figure out which of those stations will afford us a better visit for Genoa--is one located closer to "the sights"? Are there left-luggage facilities?

I would appreciate any insight anyone can offer--thanks!!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,858 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Genoa Airport to Rail Station--Brignole or Principe?

Principe is W of the city center, Brignole is E of it. Both stations are fairly large and have manned luggage storage room.

Principe would probably be marginally more convenient in terms of being closer to the 'sights', which -- especially for a visitor staying only a few hours -- means in practice the historic section of the city ('centro storico').

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,704 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Genoa Airport to Rail Station--Brignole or Principe?

Note that if you are travelling from Genoa to the Cinque Terre, it is almost never necessary to go to la Spezia as this would involve going all the way through the Cinque Terre then backtracking. And all Cinque Terre villages have direct trains from Genoa.

For train times never use Rail Europe. Use the Italian national train operator http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html entering 'from' Genova Piazza Principe or Genova Brignole and 'to' a particular village such as Monterosso. For fares use a date this week as fares o many trains are NA online more than seven days in advance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Genoa Airport to Rail Station--Brignole or Principe?

Thanks very much. Principe it is. And thanks for clarifying the "NA" notation on the Trenitalia site--I thought perhaps all the tickets were sold!

(I will try again to locate a train from Genoa to Riomaggiore on the Trenitalia site. When I tried before, it said "no solution found")

4. Re: Genoa Airport to Rail Station--Brignole or Principe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 23:16