We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dolceacqua and apricale

Which Ventimiglia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales U K
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
dolceacqua and apricale

last year we visited menton and took the bus to st agnes.we then walked to gorbio and took the bus back to menton...a great day out

this year we are staying in Bordighera for a few days

Could we something similar when we visit Apricale?

Also is it worth visiting San Romolo(on another day of course) and are the buses frequent ?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dolceacqua and apricale

All the local area's bus times are in here www.rivieratrasporti.it/OrarioEstivo2011.pdf - See Linea 7 for Dolceacqua and Apricale. Although in theory you could catch one just after the bridge over the Nervia, there's nothing much to do around there, so you're probably better to take the bus (or train) all the way into Ventimiglia and catch a Linea 7 bus from near the road down from the train station.

From Apricale, there is a pleasant and easy footpath to walk down the Merdanzo valley as far as very pretty Isolabona, where you join the main Nervia valley with extra buses coming down from Pigna and CastelVittorio towards Dolceacqua. There is no footpath down to Dolceacqua, only the road. You could walk a marked path from Isolabona to Rochetta Nervina, but this is a very demanding hike that involves a lot of climbing and may be more hard work than it's worth.

San Romolo is odd, It feels like a sort of late nineteenth century hill-station, a mini italian Simla, with nothing much there except a bar-restaurant, minigolf and some horse-riding. And lots of forest walks. I wouldn't particularly recommend it unless you were going to walk out of it by the very impressive footpaths to Perinaldo and Baiardo, both of which are very much more interesting and spectacularly sited villages and which have buses back to the coast at Ventimiglia and San Remo respectively. Or you could also walk across and down to the quite pretty Seborga, which has buses down to Bordighera itself.

Edited: 21 August 2011, 05:07
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,545 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: dolceacqua and apricale

To get to Apricale, you might instead consider getting the bus to Perinaldo, and walking down the hill - takes around 1.5 hours but is easy. The Perinaldo bus can be picked up in the centre of Vallecrosia, only just along the road from Bordighera, with the bus stop a few metres up the turn-off.

Buy your bus tickets in advance from tobacconists etc. for €1.50 for 90 minutes' travel. They cost €2.50 if bought on the bus.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dolceacqua and apricale

I just returned from Triora, Pigna, Apricale, Perinaldo and Dolceacqua. I also stopped in the Hanbury Villa and took much of the Via Aurelia coastal route from Menton to Genova, stopping in Albenga, Finale Ligure, Finale Borgo, Noli and Savona.

I rented a car from the US, picking up at Sixt Rental Cars in the Mercure Hotel in Nice. They gave me a Peugeot diesel stationwagon, very economical.

Beware of the roads to Triora, Apricale and Dolceacqua. Many places have not enough room for cars to pass. The views are spectacular.

The Nervia Valley I'd highly recommend.

I was unable to drive from Triora to La Brigue and Tende in France, I was worried about time constraints and not having 4WD vehicle. If anyone's drives these mountain roads, please advise how it was. Thanks.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,545 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dolceacqua and apricale

The Triora-la Brigue road is now surfaced on the Italian side as far as the border, but it does takes a very long time to get there and is very steep and narrow towards the end . As far as I know, the French side is still unsurfaced and suitable only for 4X4s.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dolceacqua and apricale

The gentleman from the National Park in Triora (Matteo) helped us book a room in the B&B in Verdeggia, and we thought to drive the following morning through Realdo to La Brigue and Tende, but we chose instead to stay at Da Guia in Apricale, which we greatly enjoyed. I'd like to drive into France when I have a 4WD vehicle. The whole Nervia Valley was worthwhile and very beautiful.

6. Re: dolceacqua and apricale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 09:17