We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

Are there any buses or expreso buses bypassing ,or just stopping in Rivas shortly and going on to San Jorge from MGA ? What is the schedule ?

19 replies to this topic
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

$60

Word is that if you're traveling tonight the center of Managua isn't safe but ok if you're going to the airport. Can you travel during the day?

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Chester
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

$40 Granada to San Jorge seems expensive. I just paid $25 the other direction and I was only gently negotiating.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

I always use local folks who are working to support their families (many of whom I know)

I pay a fair price and once I know what's fair I don't haggle to allow people to do their work with dignity--the same ethics I practice at home (and on a non-profit salary).

Keep in mind that the cost of gasoline just spiked in NI.

Chester
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

I didn’t really haggle but just to accept first price from a non-metered taxi driver anywhere is almost always daft :-) I was offered $30 and asked if he could give me a bettter price and he offered $25. As I said, it was a very very gentle negotiation- indeed positively friendly. I could have pushed for a lower price but I was happy enough and thought it was a fairish price (ok for a foreigner anyway) and he was happy and we enjoyed a very interesting conversation and each other’s company along the way. I’m not saying this in this case or in yours but you can lose respect and cause inflated prices for other travellers if you are seen as a soft touch.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

I get it. I travel to NI and CR frequently and there's no mistaking I am not latina so I could be an easy target.

It's important to me in any of these forums to share a few words on ethical travel.

Glad you had a good experience---particularly the conversation. Usually the most enjoyable part of any ride

and the benefit of having learned Spanish well :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

Yes need to push back sometimes because fact is they take advantage of you. My hotel arranged for a taxi for $65 from San Jorge to Managua airport. Didn't seem like much room for negotiation.

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

I should add that this is door-to-door. I'm not putting a ton of energy in finding the cheapest transport, just don't want to get take to the cleaners. I'm happy to pay a bit more for convenience but not an excessive amount. I'm not on super tight budget. Here just for a week but I do know they will take advantage if you are not alert.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

Would you negotiate your cab fare in DC? Just curious . I live in a rural area so cabs aren't a part of my transportation norm in the US

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge

Cabs are metered in DC. You pay what the meter says. I know I overpaid slightly, actually spent a lot of money on transportation but I was here for just a week amd wanted a comfy trip so didn't waste time seeking out the best deal.

Reply to: Direct transportation from Managua to San Jorge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jorge