We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day trips by car

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
805 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Best day trips by car

Staying in Bellagio and have a hire car tomorrow. Today we visited Stresa and Orta. Your thoughts on the best day trip for tomorrow. Considering Bergamo or Lugano or ...... what are your suggestions please?

19 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best day trips by car

I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

On your way to Soglio did you stop in Palazzo Vertemate Franchi or in Chiavenna? I hope you visited at least the Palazzo, it's really outstanding inside wirh many amazing artistic and decorated rooms.

And what about the landslide? Did you see it from Soglio? For sure anyway you could see the amazing granitic mountains above the bondasca valley, the Sciore group, the Cengalo and the most important (for alpinistic history) Piz Badile.

Tomorrow for sure the Accademia di Carrara in Bergamo will be open, if you like art and paintings it's really a must. But don't miss the interior of the old cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore, the venetian city wall at the door of Porta Garibaldi, and the views at the top of San Vigilio castle, easily reached with the cablecar.

Since you'll go by train, just take the bus number 1 until its last stop in Città Alta: the bus stop it's at the exit of the station, on the right, but buy first the tickets for the bus ride, and on the bus print your ticket. other personal suggestions for Bergamo are in the link I posted above.

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best day trips by car

sorry I noticed only now that I had a better text written about Bergamo, it's almost the same but it's more clear. I can copy paste it here, if it helps.

BERGAMO Città Alta (upper city, is the old part of the town, at the top of a hill) is gorgeous! you can reach the città alta from the train station by bus, line 1, the ticket costs around 1 euro and it's valid for more or less one hour, and when you print it it's possible to use it for any type of public transportation in Bergamo (buses and cablecars) for this hour for as many times as you want.

In the Città Alta don't miss the Venetian city wall (a Unesco World Heritage Site), especially at the door of Porta Garibaldi - also named Porta San Lorenzo: notice at the door the lion of Venice, it’s the symbol of Venice, the Lion of Saint Mark (since the evangelist is buried in the cathedral of Venice) - Bergamo was more influenced by Venice than by the closer Milan // the San Vigilio castle (reachable by cablecar from the last stop of bus 1 in Largo Colle Aperto –it should have been reopened right now) is at the highest point of the hill, above the Città Alta: a perfect point for a panoramic view in a clear day (but if it is not so clear, you can miss it, even if the hill is beautiful) // going back to Città Alta the main street named via Colleoni is a wonderful walk, with also Piazza vecchia and its Palazzo della ragione and the Campanone (the civic tower that can be climbed up, with Roman ruins at its feet) // the neoclassical Duomo (the cathedral of Sant’Alessandro, with the tomb of the patron saint of the city, a Roman soldier converted to Christianity: at the top of the dome of the cathedral, there is a golden statue of Sant’Alessandro – It’s open till 12 and from from 15 to 18.30) // at the side of the new cathedral of Sant’Alessandro, the surprising and wonderful old cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore, probably the most beautiful sight (with the red lions and the white lions doors, its unique ceiling inside, its wood inlays, its wood elaborated confessional, the painting of the “Passage through the Red Sea” by Luca Giordano, the small sections of the medieval frescos that once decorated this temple – today it’s open from the early morning till 12.30 and from 14.30 to 18). At the side of Santa Maria Maggiore that looks at Piazza Vecchia, you see the Colleoni Chapel with the façade made by Amedeo. In this chapel is buried Bartolomeo Colleoni with his daughter. He was a war leader of the 15th century that fought with Venice against Milan – after him Bergamo belonged more to the sphere of influence of Venice, instead of Milan: try to find on the façade and on the tomb inside the chapel the coat of arms of the Colleoni Family, whose symbol are 3 testicles. In fact the original name of this family wasn’t Colleoni (that in Italian sounds like “with the lions”) but “Coglioni”, which vulgarly means “balls”, but also “asshol.s”, no wonder they changed their family name! // the Rocca, a castle with a small and beautiful park and a World War Memorial // the small beautiful church of San Michele al pozzo bianco (open from 14 to 17/18) // the great painting gallery of Accademia di Carrara, one of the best painting galleries in Northern Italy, recently restored. (open from 10 to 19)

As a place to enjoy a good meal, not too pricey but with local and traditional dishes of good quality, you could consider Il Circolino, in Via Sant'Agata (a lateral street of the main street Via Colleoni). It's not "pretentious", but it's really the restaurant of the people of Bergamo in the upper town.

Edited: 13 September 2017, 00:57
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
805 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best day trips by car

Thanks David!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
112,345 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Best day trips by car

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed a great day in Soglio CaroSydney.

Soglio is just such a beautiful and sweet hamlet.

And yes, Soglio is picture-perfect!!

Hopefully you stopped to view the Acquafraggia waterfall.

And hopefully you enjoyed lunch on the terrace at La Soglina with views of the Bondasca glacier.

And yes, you would find trail routes posted with distances and estimated times for the treks.

There's an especially delightful trek from Palazzo Salis.

As you climb and climb, Soglio becomes smaller and smaller below, and the views are completely exhilarating.

It's a dream!

May you enjoy Bergamo today as well.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
112,345 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best day trips by car

Hi Davideccc88,

It's completely clear to arrive in Soglio and even St. Mortiz from Chiavenna.

Not a problem at all.

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
805 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best day trips by car

Thanks all, esp David, we had a great day in Bergamo- thanks for all the fantastic tips. Made our day easy as well. Such a beautiful place.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
112,345 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Best day trips by car

Davide did a fantastic job here for you in Bergamo CaroSydney.

Glad to hear that your day went well in Bergamo.

You're enjoying many wonderful day trips!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Best day trips by car

Thanks for the informations about the road Vagabonda, actually in the Alps they are very quick in dealing with these landslides (even if this one was particularly big and tragic with 8 deaths).

Always this summer I was above Ollomont in Aosta Valley, and a smaller landslide had hit the road just 4 days before: I was surprised that the road was already clean and available to transits., despite the fact that I was driving between a meter of rocks and mud at the two sides of the road!

And thanks for your feedback CaroSydney, I'm glad you enjoyed Bergamo, one of the towns that I love the most, because many of my friends come from its area, and the people of Bergamo are great (as their Orobie mountains!)

Edited: 14 September 2017, 16:38
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
112,345 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Best day trips by car

Hi Davide,

Yes, the landslides are quickly cleared, and they are also efficient for snow removal.

That frana was cleared very quickly.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Best day trips by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted