We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Como to Bellagio to Lugano

Ar Rass, Saudi...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Como to Bellagio to Lugano

Hi,

We’ll be arriving in Como s Gioviani station early in the morning from Milan. We want to visit Bellagio for half a day then gonto lugano and then back to Milan the same day. What’s the best way to get around? And is it possible to book the ferry online? We’d love to enjoy the scenery of the lake if you decide to go on the ferry but I’ve read somewhere that some ferries are closed and don’t have windows to enjoy the scenery of the lake?

Best Seller
Lake Como Day Trip from Milan
1,512 Reviews
from US$92.00*
Villa Balbianello and Flavors of Lake...
36 Reviews
from US$261.90*
Como Food Tour
9 Reviews
from US$99.00*
11 replies to this topic
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

You must make sure to get the slow ferry Como-Bellagio, that's the one for sightseeing, with open-air spaces and chairs. The fast boat is the one with small windows and no sightseeing.

But this slow boat takes more than 2 hours, and there are not that many per day.

Would advise against going to Lugano, too much for one day.

Have lunch and explore Bellagio including Villa Melzi, head on to Varenna on Lake Como, explore including a visit to Villa Monastero, and have dinner and return by train to Milano

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

All that in ONE day. I'd say why bother or pick one Bellagio or Lugano

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

Agree wit the others re Lugano. Either head to one of the villas or perhaps head to varenna from where you could get the train back to milan.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

I agree - trying to visit Bellagio and Lugano in one day-trip is too much..

Not only does the ferry take over two hours from Como to Bellagio, to then reach Lugano you’d have to take a ferry over to Menaggio followed by a bus to Lugano, which takes about an hour.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,455 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

And the bus from Menaggio to Lugano does not go anywhere near Lugano train station, you have to take local bus number 2 across Lugano to get there.

If you really must go to Lugano, I'd suggest not going to Como but taking the train direct from Milano Centrale to Varenna-Esino, then the ferry from Varenna to Bellagio (15 minutes) then then to Menaggio.

Ar Rass, Saudi...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

Thank you all for your insights. I think I really like the arrival in Varenna plan. Is there an open air ferry between Varenna and Bellagio and then to Mennagio? Is it a better choice to take the bus directly from bellagio to Lugano? Or to go to Menaggio by ferry and then take the bus? We really want to see both and we’ll be arriving very early in the morning.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,455 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

The mid-lake ferries are open air. So are the car ferries if you wish to stand in the open.

There are no buses from Bellagio to Lugano. You have to use the ferry to Menaggio and take a bus from there.

Ar Rass, Saudi...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

Thank you. Should I book the ferry online? Or just buy the tickets the same day? Also the bus from Menaggio does it run multiple times a day or should I book in advance?

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

I don’t think it’s possible to book the ferries online.. but anyway, better (imho) just to buy tickets for the next ferry available when you get there.

The bus to Lugano from Menaggio runs about once an hour - tickets are obtained from the little Tabacchi store in Piazza Roma. We picked up a bus timetable from the tourist information office, which was just across the Piazza from the Tabacchi as far as I recall.

Because of the longer journey, I think I’d head to Lugano first and Bellagio second - then you’ll be just a short ferry ride away from Varenna for your train back to Milan..

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,455 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Como to Bellagio to Lugano

Ferry times are temporarily here http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/home.aspx - the website is being revised, and most information on it is currently temporarily unavailable.

Bus times are here asfautolinee.it/wr-resource/…

Reply to: Como to Bellagio to Lugano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted