We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

Boston
Level Contributor
716 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

Have a long drive planned in a few weeks that takes us right by Stresa (destination is Zermatt, parking in Tasch) ; the fastest route goes on E62 and very near to Stresa ; most likely early afternoon.

Seems like a good place for us to stop and have a quick bite to eat and maybe do some siteseeing ; depending what is possible if we only have a couple of hours.

Stresa stood out to me more than any other town on the immediate road when looking at the map.

Since our next destination requires taking a cable car/train that does not run very late we will be on a firm and tight schedule. Missing the ride up to our hotel is not an option!

Would love to take the ferry over to Isola Bella and see the gardens there even if rushed ; biggest question is how long at minimum would one need to park in Stresa (ok paying to park) ; go to the ferry, take a ferry to Isola Bella, see the gardens and boat back to Stresa ; back to car, leave town, etc...

If what I am thinking is impossible I want to eliminate the thought entirely.

If we do skip an island boat ride, any lakeside promenade that has good views, that plus checking out the main piazza in town could be the other option for our limited time?

Or is Stresa so crowded in July that we should not plan on stopping there if we are short on time no matter what? Will be on a Thursday if that matters.

10 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
716 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

Seems like we might want to skip Stresa the town if Isola Bella is our preferred stop. From what I read there is a parking lot in Carciano where we could drive to, park and take a mid day frequent 5 minute ride to the island. I was able to print out the ferry schedule. It seems like our plan would then be doable.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

That could work. You have the option of the ferry

…navigazionelaghi.it/doc/…Carciano_2018.pdf

or the motorboat service (which is more expensive, but might suit you better)

http://www.isoleborromee.com/eng/

There's a restaurant at the Lido (haven't tried it yet, but looks good)

https://www.labaiarosastresa.it/

Boston
Level Contributor
716 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

Thank you very much, good to know of the private ferry option if those times align better when we arrive.

Seems like a doable plan overall, likely means limiting lunch to a quick bite along the road or similar take away type fare on the island BUT think my wife would love the formal gardens and the views from the island back to Stresa along the lake seem far better than the views to the islands from Stresa.

The short boat ride and being on an island even if only for a short time will be a good break from driving for myself as the sole driver.

I assume if we skip most of the inside palace that a couple of hours would be enough time to see the formal gardens, taking some pictures of the gardens, peacocks and the views?

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

If you skip a sit-down lunch and don’t go into the house, then yes, it should be fine.

You can also get the ferry or motorboat from central Stresa, there’s a big car park there too, so you don’t really need to go to the Lido.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

You could easily get round the gardens in half an hour or so which would probably give you a bit of time in the palace. The Carciano option is a good one as the ferry service is direct to isola bella.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

We will be in the area later in August, and would like to take the ferry from Carciano to Isola Bella. I am concerned with parking. Google map shows blue-line parking spots near Carciano ferry service, which is free for about 1.5 hr only. Any more ideas finding longer term (a few hours) free parking? How about paid parking lot? Thanks.

Boston
Level Contributor
716 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

Right at the ferry there are many parking spots

They are all pay for parking ; you use a machine and put the receipt in your window

Can not recall how much I paid for parking but was not too bad

We had a great time at Isola Bella and it was the perfect stop!!!

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

Thanks MattCarib for your response.

We are not at all familiar with the disc parking system and trying to understand and to work with it. If the parking spot is blue-lined and the sign says 1 hour limit, while we expect to park for 4 hours, do we buy the ticket for 3 hours at the machine? and set the current arrival time on the parking disc?

I feel silly asking questions like these, but thank you in advance for any help.

Boston
Level Contributor
716 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

I don’t know how the disk works completely either but this was not the disk parking

It was a machine that prints receipts with a time stamp and you put that inside your car by the windshield

Very simple and really self explanatory; you can pay the machine for 4 hours of parking

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?

I see, great! Thanks again.

Reply to: Only have a couple of hours, worth a stop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted