We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the great Dolomites Road in Winter

Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Driving the great Dolomites Road in Winter

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has driven from Bolzano to Cortina in winter? I have read about the drive in summer, but I cant seem to find info for the time it may take in Winter. Im sure the road is very very slow due to all the skiing traffic. How many hours would it take at that time of year?

Mentioned in this post
Bolzano
Bolzano
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
1 reply
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
825 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the great Dolomites Road in Winter

Hello,

in the winter, unless you're travelling at the weekend, then traffic isn't your main problem. The problem is whether the passes are open due to snow. Most of the time they are kept open as far as possible, but there are several parts of the GDR that are subject to avalanches, so you'd find the road closed.

IF the passes are open then it will take about 2.5 - 3 hours of driving time, directly from Bolzano to Cortina. If you can't avoid the weekend then you'll probably need to add and extra hour to that.

If you're hiring a car you'll need to make sure that it is fitted with snow tyres or that you are provided with snow chains (although if you actually need to use them I'd suggest not doing the drive!)

I hope this helps

DD

Edited: 13 June 2018, 21:06
Mentioned in this post
Bolzano
Bolzano
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Reply to: Driving the great Dolomites Road in Winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted