We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

Still clicking around, and have now found this, which I'm really interested in.

Anyone done this later night visit? Is it really just the same as the daytime tour? That would be great for us, as we could do it later in the day.

10 replies to this topic
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

There is no tour, just standard museum admission until 10pm on Friday and Saturday evenings. If it is like last year, the museum is relatively uncrowded, and the Saturday of the Redentore (15 July) it is not open to the public late.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

So, there wouldn't be a tour of any kind, just admission? I assume the crowds would be a bit less, especially in October. How much 'less' would we get to see if we just did the general admission? That is, what would we NOT see?

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

the "Secret Itineraries" show things that are not included in the general admission, but this is any time, not just weekend evenings. Also, any special exhibition (last Summer there was the Ghetto 500° anniversary) closed at the normal time, so was not included in the extended hours. Last Summer it was Friday, Saturday and Sunday as well, so perhaps things are different this year (though I admit I don't even know what special exhibition, if any, is currently at Palazzo Ducale).

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

Still checking this out, so I've bumped this up.

The later entry for this would suit us well, but there is no Secret Itinerary Tour, is there? So we do the normal, d-i-y tour, but don't see the attic, or the Cassanova room or such, I think. So perhaps the late time doesn't suit us as well as I first thought. Yet, with our short span of visiting time, we are probably still better off with the late visit to the Palace.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,548 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

Do you need to see museums in your short visit? Museums are not mandatory and, IMO, you could spend your time better than at Dodges Palace.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

Actually, you're figuring out my query exactly, Anna G. From what I've seen of photos, the general part of the museum isn't sending me into raptures, but it's the thought of walking over the Ponte dei Sospiri and seeing the attic and Cassanova's room that held my interest. But that's not in the open admission. So I have to decide....book a tour to see them, or go later (the time is good for us, of course) but not really see what I wanted to.

I'm more inclined to now agree with you that I could be spending my time at other things instead. We could save the late night visit for if we really wanted to go at the end of the day.

Thanks, everyone, for all the info. It's what helps me decide along the way.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,548 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

I get it. We all go to Europe and feel compelled to visit museums, etc., not leaving enough time to just hang out and enjoy, even if we go to one museum a year at home. Honestly, and this would probably be the least popular response, see a gallery, Guggenheim, or Scuela Grande, or an amazing church, e.g. Frari and hang the rest of the time in Venice. It is no less than the best museum.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

Totally agree with Anna G - Venice is the most incredible open-air museum and there are so many different areas of Venice to explore that are totally different from one another.

Here's my two cents that I've learned for myself in 40+ years of traveling: There are very few museums in my 40 years of traveling that have actually stuck with me all these many years later. There are a few museums I have visited multiple times but for the most part I would much prefer to spend my time in any city I visit, wandering around. And honestly if you are short on time in Venice, I would keep the indoor visits to a minimum.

What you will remember most about Venice are those intangible moments of discovery in walking around the calles, accidentally coming upon a surprising campo and sometimes while hitting a dead-end calle and then seeing the Grand Canal and going ahhh! Those moments, to me at least, are what makes Venice so special.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1,093 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

Ljaguar, well put. While we are enjoying museums like the Doge's Palace, it is wandering around with Google Maps to guide us, and our Traveler Vaporetto pass for when our legs fail us, with so many vistas out of a dream. Incredible place.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace

What does get my vote is the Basilica out if hours ....

Reply to: Museums By the Moonlight at Doges Palace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted