We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigating from Piazza San Stefano to Madonna dell'Orto

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Navigating from Piazza San Stefano to Madonna dell'Orto

I am seeking guidance on navigating in the busy summer months. We are staying near Piazza San Stefano in San Marco and four of us (two adults and two tweens) need to get to Madonna dell’Orto at 4pm on a weekday at the end of June. I’ve been reading about the intensely crowded sidewalks in San Marco and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how best to walk or take vaparetto? Is it totally crazy to take the Aliguna orange line from San Angelo to the Madonna dell’Orto stop? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante San Stefano
Ristorante San Stefano
848 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Best Seller
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
428 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,614 Reviews
from US$77.30*
US$84.20
Best Seller
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,662 Reviews
from US$51.90*
4 replies to this topic
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigating from Piazza San Stefano to Madonna dell'Orto

Alilaguna will probably be busier than the vaporetto. I would walk it, probably taking about 35/40 minutes. Get a good map, don't rely on Google. I would walk to saN Bartolomeo up to past the ca d'oro then turn right and cut through.. The worst bit will be by Rialto.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Bartolomeo
Hotel Bartolomeo
497 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Europe
Level Contributor
22 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigating from Piazza San Stefano to Madonna dell'Orto

Dear CapCityTravelers!

The three of us have returned from Venice a few days ago, after staying there for a whole week. We have used a variety of vaporetto lines both in the city and in the lagoon (Murano, Burano, Torcello). We have walked a lot as well.

Both the main streets and vaporettos were crowded. Our experience is that the time spent on a vaporetto is pretty unpredictable due to the heavy traffic on the Grand Canal and the Cannaregio Canal (supply boats, water taxis, even ambulance boats, etc.) There is a downloadable map of the vaporetto lines on the ACTV website: actv.it/sites/default/files/ultimamappa.pdf

Because you do not have to cross the Grand Canal, I would suggest a walk from Campo San Stefano to the church of Madonna dell'Orto. I have used the OpenStreetMap.org website to find directions between two points in Venice, activated by the double arrow below the history button. Unfortunately I can't post a picture in this reply, but the website just calculated that from Campo Sant'Anzolo (which is next to Campo San Stefano) it takes approximately 22 minutes to reach Campo Madonna dell'Orto and the distance is 1.9 km. To be on the safe side we usually added 10 minutes more, just because of the crowd and a lot of window shopping!

Of course, the software is not perfect, if you put the starting point on the Campo San Stefano, it stupidly suggests to cross the Grand Canal in opposite direction! Nevertheless, I hope that the website can help a lot in planning.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Cannaregio
Cannaregio
3,999 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ristorante San Stefano
Ristorante San Stefano
848 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigating from Piazza San Stefano to Madonna dell'Orto

This is so helpful. Much appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigating from Piazza San Stefano to Madonna dell'Orto

Thank you. Appreciate the suggestion very much.

Reply to: Navigating from Piazza San Stefano to Madonna dell'Orto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted