We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry into Venice

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
566 posts
137 reviews
Entry into Venice

We will arrive in Venice from Marco Polo Airport via the Express Bus to Piazzale Roma. Has anything come of the proposal to somehow restrict or re-route day tripper traffic? We will be staying for 9 days, but I was wondering if we needed to be aware of any changes after we purchase our 7-day vaporetto tickets? Usually we just catch the #2 to Zattere. Thank you!

Best Seller
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
496 Reviews
from US$76.20*
Best Seller
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,692 Reviews
from US$52.70*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,639 Reviews
from US$78.50*
US$85.60
12 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Entry into Venice

There are no check points, turnstiles, barricades, Checkpoint Charlies or anything resembling them.

Venice remains delightfully free to enter.

Venice, Italy
2 posts
2. Re: Entry into Venice

Hello!

Good question! Most of the time things are like you've always known them.

Now, on certain given days, which are forecasted has very crowded, you might find some turnstiles in key areas of Venice. Only holders of the Venezia Unica card can pass them, the rest of the people need to reach their destination following another route.

We don't know much in advance when the turnstiles will be used, so, sadly it's impossible to tell you for sure whether or not it will happen during your stay.

Hope it helped!

Have fun in Venice!

Valeria

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Entry into Venice

DHG, feel free to ignore the above post.

There is a great photo floating around of turnstiles under the clock tower in the Piazza. Photoshopped by one Gregory Dowling, Venetian author. I have met Greg, and he thought it was a hoot that his photo was so much believed.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
566 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Entry into Venice

I had heard that a Venezia Unica card might be necessary. I will definitely look into it. I ask this question because my husband is handicapped and trust me, we plan our steps carefully especially upon arrival when he's tired. We are arriving on a Saturday when I suspect that a lot of cruise ships will be dropping off and re-loading over the weekend. . We absolutely adore Venice and have visited each year since 2004, so thank you both for posting a reply to my question.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Entry into Venice

The turnstile thing happened on the May 1st weekend, which is a holiday weekend. There were check points on Strada Nove at the Scalzi Bridge. Tourists were shunted over the Scalzi, Venezia Unica card holders could go where they liked.

It is worth getting the Unica card in any case. Costs 50 euro, valid for five years, and allows you to ride the vaporettos for 1.40 a trip. Once you have the card, you load rides onto it. When you use it, the reader tells you how many trips remain on the card. Sometimes it is worth spending 1.40 to avoid dragging yourself over the Rialto through the crowds.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
566 posts
137 reviews
6. Re: Entry into Venice

Thank you Valeria, I just purchased the Venezia Unica Card on-line. It was easy and I only had to purchase the 7 day transportation that we will need any way.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
566 posts
137 reviews
7. Re: Entry into Venice

Peter, I have a question. I didn’t pay a €50 fee for the Venezia Unica card......just the €60 for the 7 day transportation. Was your card purchased a while ago or has the card policy changed?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Entry into Venice

The Venezia Unica card is a residents card, i believe that Venetians get it for a cheaper price, Veneto folk pay more, foreigners like us pay 50 euro. The card is personalised with a photo, and good for five years.

It is not the same as a period pass, like the 24, 48, 72 hour or 7 day vap passes.

Once you have the card, you load trips onto it at 14 euro for ten trips. Right now, I think my card has eight trips left on it, and I will use those plus more when I visit Venice in September for a couple of weeks.

You paid 60 euro for a seven day pass. The value of the Unica card rests on how many times you would use the card, and how often you visit Venice. We visit pretty much annually for a couple of weeks, but might use vaps say ten times only during the visit. So our vap cost is say ten euro for the card (50 euro for five years, divided by five) plus the trips, say ten max at 1.40, total cost 24 euro. Compared to two seven day passes, it is a steal.

For frequent visitors, and I think you are Venetophiles like us, the Venezia Unica card is good value.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Entry into Venice

The second part of your question. We got our cards about seven years ago, and renewed them a couple of years ago. It feels a bit special once you are awy from Venice to have the card with trips on it, almost a compulsion to return

https:/…imob-cartavenezia.htm

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
566 posts
137 reviews
10. Re: Entry into Venice

Usually we just buy the 7 day transportation card in P. Roma so this is the first time that I’ve looked into the pre-arrival purchase of the Venezia Unica card and I’m thoroughly confused. I didn’t pay an extra €50 on-line for the card and there was no mention of a photo. (Paris has a similar Navigo Card and I’m familiar with how that works.) It said only to put the voucher’s PNR into an automated machine located at the airport and other locations. Has anyone had recent experience with this? Ouch....hope I haven’t just wasted €120! 😳 We do go to Venice regularly, but if access had changed I wanted to make sure that my husband wouldn’t have an issue upon arrival. We’re fine once we get there and can easily avoid/navigate the crowds. Thank you very much for your answer and for following this post!

Edited: 09 June 2018, 04:51
Reply to: Entry into Venice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted