We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

Kanpur, India
Level Contributor
239 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

Hi there

On a trip to Venice which shouldn't last for over 48 hrs, is Burrano a nice idea?

My itinerary is including a trip to St Mark piazza, Bridge Rialto and a Gondola ride other than (if) Burrano.

I am certainly not interested in doing Doge's palace but would do the Basilica in the piazza.

Does the bus no 12 serve San Zaccaria during July as the official website says it does during summer.

Can I ride the bus no 12 with the 2 day Vaporetto pass?

Thank you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,402 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
22,176 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
5,129 Reviews
Venice, Italy
39 replies to this topic
St Mary's, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

If you only have 48 hours foget it too much to see walking. No 9 goes to Burano from Fondamento Nuvo, long walk to start with or a very long Vaporetto ride to start with to get to Fondamento Nuvo. There used be a ride from Sant Zacharia to Torcello, but needed changing on an outer island. Did this two years ago by mistake! Murano on the other hand is quite a short trip. The only glass blowing now done on Murano seems to be the very shiny highly coloured tourist junk. The quality stuff does notseem to be anywhere now except in expensive San Marco shops or antique shops. Really a goodthing to do is buy a 48 hour vaporetto ticket and take a no 1 and go up and down the grand canal a couple of times. Try to sit out side at the back. At present Venice is surprisingly quiet with not quite such thick mobs of visitors. No doubt it will change shortly. It is not easy to exchange online bought ACT vouchers. There is a dirth of functioning self service machines. I went to Zattere this morning and then Academia with no joy niether would the ACT ticket offices help untill I got to St Marks. SO watch out for this unadvertised difficulty. Enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
5,129 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

Only 48 hours in Venice then forget about visiting any of the northern islands. Buy a good Venice Guide Book - I like those produced by DK, Time Out and Knopf. Read them and decide what interests you most - there is a lot to choose from!.

A period vaporetto pass entitles you to ride on all water buses (vaporetti). Just remember to validate it each time you board a water bus by swiping it over the card reader which you will find on all landing stages before you board the water bus

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,958 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

Yes, Burano is lovely assuming you have time for Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,632 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

I would be in no rush to see the duomo. It was dark and underwhelming to me. Spend your time wandering about. Get off the main drags (canals and streets) but do take the #1 Vaporetto a couple times. Rick Steves does a good podcast of the vaporetto ride or you can read it from his guide book.

Mentioned in this post
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
5,129 Reviews
Venice, Italy
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

We went to Burano on our second day in Venice. Enjoyed it. Used the vaporetto pass, no problem

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
786 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

We enjoy visiting Murano (the hotel sets up a tour so we get the private speed boat ride out - a lovely benefit ) then over to Burano in time for lunch at Il Gatto Nero which has the most amazing risotto ever. Burano is a very pretty and unique place to stroll about before catching the vaporetto back to the "mainland" in time for an aperitivo. But we are also travelers who do not race from site to site and food and relaxing are priorities for us. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

The conventional and OFT-repeated wisdom is "don't "waste time(!!!) visiting Burano if you're not in Venice long". That may not be how you feel. It certainly wasn't my reaction. We were in Venice just over 30 hours, and I never want to go back - except to Burano, where we spent a beautiful few hours in the late afternoon, had a great dinner at Maddalena's and enjoyed the vaporetto ride back in the early evening. Burano was beautiful balm for me, after my first (more or less) full day in Venice confirmed the impression I got 15 years ago from a day trip, that it and I are not soulmates. So I'm going to say, "decide for yourself, but I VERY MUCH doubt you would regret a trip to Burano"

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Wigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

Burano is a great place to visit but the vaporetto ride there and back will take a large chunk of time from your morning schedule. I think Line 12 from Fondamente Nove is the most direct device from Venice and it takes about 45 minutes each way. You can get off at Mazzorbo and walk to Burano, there is a bridge connecting the two and it's a 10 minute walk. Murano is much closer.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 14:12
Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mazzorbo
Mazzorbo
62 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Canada
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

If you are ready to use a fair portion of your limited time in Venice to be on a boat, then yes, Burano will be worth it.

At the end of the day, it does not matter that your time can be used more "efficiently" by staying in the lagoon if you will end up being disappointed of not having seen Burano...

You want to see Burano? Go see Burano. Simply accept the fact that to do so, you will spend a fair chunk of time on a boat if you depart from the main lagoon. That said, we really like being on a boat so for us, it was time we appreciated much more that browsing through commercial boutiques.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 21:09
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,131 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?

I read here that we say with such a short while in Venice, not to bother with the Islands, but I stand by that Venice has such a lot to offer, Burano is pretty but getting so touristy, lace shops everywhere,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Reply to: Burrano.. is it a nice idea for a morning excursion?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted