We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another vaporetto question

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
another vaporetto question

I am very indecisive as to whether to purchase a pass or not.

We will be in Venice for 2 1/2 days, in summer late July.

We have 6 person total. So, from the airport, I already ordered a private taxi to the hotel.

The next day, we will be walking around, trying to be lost.

The 2nd day, I want to visit Burano and that's where my dilemma lies.

Do I get a vaporetto ticket individually? e7.50 X 6 = e45 but 2 trips e90

or buy a one day vaporetto pass? e20 X 6 = e120

I have an afternoon appt to keep on Burano at 4p. So, time may be limited to go from Venice to Burano. So, I contacted the water taxi and they are quoting e160 for one way trip.

Have you been on the vaporetto from Venice to Burano? I was reading some posts saying the vaporetto were full and they had to wait for another one.

Or, if you know whether or not I could just hire a water taxi on the day of to Burano, if time is limited? and where if you need to, to hire one on the grand canal?

My hubby said, "I don't care..." Blah!!

I am so tempted to just go by water taxi because it seems cool! Ha..ha.

Thank you for your help..

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
10 replies to this topic
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,040 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another vaporetto question

Private water taxis have the advantage they are fast, they will pick you up from you hotel if it is canal-side, they take you directly to where you wish to go but they are very expensive compared with at an ACTV period pass which you can use for as many water bus (vaporetto) journeys as you wish in the time they are valid. Just remember to swipe your ticket over the card reader on every landing stage before you board a water bus.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another vaporetto question

First. You don’t have to buy the tickets ahead of time. It won’t save you any money and you’ll have time to think about it.

That being said, a one way pass on a vaparetto is 8.50€ per person. If you plan to buy a pass, even for a day, it’s 20€ per person. So you have to do the math and figure out if it’ll be worth it to buy a day pass or not.

Water taxis are ridiculously expensive and the vaparettos are easy enough to figure out. We got our bearings straight pretty quickly, but we travel a lot and prefer to use public transportation.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another vaporetto question

I suggest the pass because you may also want to visit Venice from the water. The grand canal is most beautiful from the water.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,886 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another vaporetto question

A Vaporetto is €7.50 unless it has gone up very recently,

Mentioned in this post
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
5,011 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,040 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another vaporetto question

The ATVO website today states single journey in one direction, so not a return ticket, valid for 75 minutes is 7.50 euros on all routes. This does not include the Alilaguna ferry. Children under 6 are free. So are disabled people in wheelchairs and their companion.

Period passes are 20 euros for 24 hours, 30 euros for 48 hours, 40 euros for 72 hours and 60 euros for a 7 day ticket. There is a special price for a 3 day ticket for those aged 6 to 29 of 22 euros.

Holding an ACTV period pass the Marco Polo - Piazzzale Roma price is 6 euros compared with the ATVO express coach price of 8 euros.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,963 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another vaporetto question

Alice, I would get a 48 hour pass, which will cover your trip to Burano and also give you unlimited rides around Venice for that period.

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another vaporetto question

Alive. I would buy the two day pass as one of the great joys of Venice is travelling around by water and with the pass you can just hop onto a boat whenever you feel like it. You can download the vaporetto timetable in advance and make sure that you are there waiting for it in advance of the scheduled time. This maximises your chances of getting on to the first one that arrives although locals get priority.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: another vaporetto question

Does your recommendation change if I am scheduled to be there on a "black day"? Extra crowded day?

Would you then do more walking than vaporetto??

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,963 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another vaporetto question

No - the vaporetto can be a means of escape!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,040 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: another vaporetto question

The water buses ae especially busy early in the morning dealing with workers flooding in from Mestre and again in the late afternoon with workers returning home to Mestre. The rest of the time the No 1 and No 2 lines running up and down the Grand Canal are generally pretty busy but the other lines running around the outer circuits and over to the Lido are not often overcrowded.

The water buses are useful for longer distances and going out to the outer islands and the Lido but within Venice itself walking is much to be preferred. It is not a large city but around every corner the there is something of interest and much to be discovered.

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Lido
Lido
1,761 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Reply to: another vaporetto question