We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

Looking at doing a day trip to Padua and another day spent visiting Murano, Burano and Torcello.

Given that some attractions are closed on Mondays, are any of these destinations affected?

Does it matter in which order we visit Murano, Burano and Torcello? Murano first or last or doesn't it matter? Thinking mainly about the logistics of getting there and back.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Padua
Padua
Province of Padua, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,767 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

The main sight in Padova is the Scrovegni Chapel, which is open every day. Advance bookings are essential. If there are other things you want to see in that city, check the web sites of those sights for opening times.

It does not matter what order you see the islands, as the journey is the same in both directions. Vaporetto Lines 4.1 and 4.2 run from various parts of Venice to all the stops on Murano. Line 12 runs from Fondamente Nove to Burano, stopping at the Faro stop on Murano. There is a shuttle between Burano and Torcello.

Mentioned in this post
Scrovegni Chapel
Scrovegni Chapel
5,880 Reviews
Padua, Italy
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
5,040 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Canada
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

The Scrovegni Chapel was closed on Mondays last year. In Burano and Torcello you will find some shops and restaurants closed on mondays.

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,767 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

The Scrovegni Chapel web site now says it is open every day. I checked that before I posted. See cappelladegliscrovegni.it/index.php/en/infor… and cappelladegliscrovegni.vivaticket.it/…

Mentioned in this post
Scrovegni Chapel
Scrovegni Chapel
5,880 Reviews
Padua, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

Thank you

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

When you visit Burano, don’t forget to visit Mazzorbo as well. You can reach it via the bridge that connects the 2 islands together. Here’s a post I wrote about these islands which might be interesting to you: https:/…

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Mazzorbo
Mazzorbo
59 Reviews
Venice, Italy
DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
508 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

Scrovegni Chapel Tip: When you're booking your advance tickets, keep in mind that you need to pick up the tickets ONE HOUR prior to your appointed time. This will impact the time that you need to leave Venice and the time you will need to go from the Padova train station to the ticket office....especially if there's a line when you get there. It's a small but important detail that I think is easy to overlook.

Giotto's Cappella degli Scrovegni, the University, Market, Eremitani Museum, St. Anthony's and the Pedrocchi Cafe are just a few of the wonderful things that you can do in this beautiful city.

The Murano Faro (lighthouse) is stunning, the glass factories are interesting if you want to see glass-blowing demonstrations, but our favorite has always been Burano , with a walk to Mazzorbo if you're so inclined. We always head there first. Torcello is extremely interesting as the oldest settlement in Venice, but the last time we were there (two years ago) significant renovation was going on and many things that we wanted to see were closed. Perhaps someone can give an up-date, but I'd definitely check before you go there. You've chosen two really great independent day-trips from Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Scrovegni Chapel
Scrovegni Chapel
5,880 Reviews
Padua, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Pedrocchi
Pedrocchi
383 Reviews
Marano Vicentino, Italy
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Mazzorbo
Mazzorbo
59 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

Katia, your article on the Venice Insider was fabulous. Whilst not having seen your article prior to our recent trip, we covered everything you mentioned and absolutely loved Burano, Mazzorbo and, especially, Torcello.

The only difference was that we had lunch at Trattoria Ala Maddalena on Mazzorbo - one of the best restaurants we dined at on our five week trip through Northern Italy.

Congrats on a great article, Katia. For those interested, click on the link on Post 5.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Mazzorbo
Mazzorbo
59 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Trattoria Ala
Trattoria Ala
389 Reviews
Turin, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

Thanks Lisa! I appreciate it. I will try your suggestion for the restaurant next time :-)

Katia

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,250 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello

I'm not sure that you actually have to pick up your ticket an hour in advance for the Scrovegni Chapel. I went back and looked at my email, and it says:

" Ritiro presso la biglietteria a partire da un'ora prima dello spettacolo presentando la ricevuta del pagamento ed un documento di identita' o delega da parte dell'effettivo intestatario della prenotazione."

I think that translates to pick up your ticket from one hour before the show. It had the same statement on my Scrovegni Chapel email and my Padova Card email. IIRC, I got to the ticket office about 10:15 for my 11AM visit and at that time I could pick up the 11AM ticket, the Padova card, and my 7:30 PM Scrovegni chapel ticket.

I did day trips to both Padova and the islands on my recent trip. (Post 25 for the islands and #41 for Padova.) IIRC, the Scrovegni Chapel is open on Monday but the museum was closed. I think the sights on Torcello might have been closed one day a week too. Some places close on Mondays and some on Tuesdays, so I'd check the websites. Here a link to the trip report:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18787…

Mentioned in this post
Scrovegni Chapel
Scrovegni Chapel
5,880 Reviews
Padua, Italy
Reply to: Padua, Murano/Burano and Torcello
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted