We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

Leicester, United...
12 posts
need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

Hello all !

I have been doing my research about how to get from San Marco Airport to Venice - I have worked out we need to get to San Stae Vaporetto stop.

I can see my options are ......

1. get the bus to the station and then get the vaporetto to San Stae.

2. get the Alilaguna Ferry - Orange route

3. pre book a shared water taxi

4. join queue and get an expensive water taxi

I'm looking for advice over which will be a good option for all 4 of us at that time of year - it will be a Saturday afternoon in July and we have to meet our accommodation owner at San Stae to get our accommodation keys etc so we need to arrange a time to meet them.

I think the most straight forward option is the Orange route Alilaguna ferry but I wonder how long the queues will be for it as it goes every 30 minutes. We land at 1620 then have to get through airport collect baggage etc The Orange Ferry times are 1715 or 1745 - are the ferry queues hours long at that time of year ? is another option going to be a better idea for us ?

many thanks for your time and experience

18 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
12 posts
1. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

of course I mean Marco Polo Airport to Venice

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,094 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

A Water Taxi between 4 of you would be approx €30 each, the Alilaguna would be €15 each. so twice as much but twice as quick,

something to think about, Shared Water Taxis have designated places to drop you off, I don't know if San Stae is one of them,

Level Contributor
386 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

I used a shared water taxi on arrival and they dropped me off at San Stae without a problem. However, the shared taxi was about €25.-/person, so with 4 people I would go for the private one (or take the Alilaguna).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

A private water taxi is an awesome way to enter the city. For us, more special than a gondola ride. Unless you are on a very tight budget, with 4 people I would spend a little extra and have the experience.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,339 posts
125 reviews
5. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

I always use a private water taxi to travel directly from Marco Polo to my Hotel. I always choose a Hotel with direct canal access so the private water taxi takes me to my Hotel without any of the bother carrying luggage through the streets.

Leicester, United...
12 posts
6. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

thanks everyone for your advice - it really difficult to work out what to do without any local knowledge or experience - so I'm very grateful for your time. Following the majority view of go for a Water Taxi - ive gone on to the Consorzio Motoscafi Water taxi website and for some reason my dates are unavailable - did you all pre book or just go join the queue at the airport dock ?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,094 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

Try this one,

http://www.veneziataxi.it/en-us/home.aspx

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
8. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

We are of course flying into Marco Polo on the 10th of October. My travel agent suggested we use Viator to book a water taxi to Venice. It appears to be a smaller private boat that accomodates 6 people at a price of 78.00 for two. How do we get from the airport to the water taxis?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,223 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

Viator does not provide any services, as it is only a booking agency. You do not need to use it to book a water taxi.

As you come out of the terminal, follow the signs for water taxis.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,094 posts
89 reviews
10. Re: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V

Best to use a authentic Water Taxi as in Post 7.

Reply to: need some local knowledge .....re transfer from airport to V
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted