We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: May/early June 2018

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: May/early June 2018

After many months of scanning the forums in preparation for our trip to Italy, we've been, survived, and I thought it appropriate to join TA and 'give back' a little after having received some great advice.

Our five week trip saw us staying a week in Venice as well as time in Florence, Siena, Lucca, Cinque Terre (Manarola) and Rome. In time I intend filing reports on our other destinations but I'll kick off with Venice.

Great advice on restaurants and accommodation from Anna, Robert, Peter from Australia, and Monte - many thanks to you guys for such detailed information in your posts We dined well, with some extra help from Ziggy. Our accommodation in Dorsoduro was ok, perhaps a bit expensive for what we got but, it's Venice. Location was excellent, a short walk from the Corner Pub - a place that quickly became a favourite.

Unfortunately, however, Venice and us wasn't a match made in heaven. We travelled as a group of four (two couples), and we all rated Venice at Number 6 out of the six places we stayed. Wall to wall crowds didn't agree with four people who live on the outskirts of Brisbane - even when we moved away through the less touristy calles we still found crowds. Each to his own but we didn't experience the same crowd density in the other places we visited.

Our best experiences, apart from the excellent suggestions re restaurants, were when we visited Padova and a day trip to the outer islands of Burano, Mazzorbo and, especially, Torcello. We enjoyed those much less touristy places.

I guess I won't be invited to include this report in the Trip Reports section at the top of the Venice Forum but this was our experience. I've often read that people either like or dislike Venice - unfortunately, our group of four fits into the latter category.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,079 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Burano
Burano
City of Venice, Italy
Mazzorbo
Mazzorbo
59 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Cantina Arnaldi
$$ - $$$, Italian, Bar, Mediterranean
Il Mercante
$$ - $$$, Gastropub, Wine Bar
11 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

We will be going on our fourth trip to Venice soon. Each time it seems to be more filled with crowds but we still love it. We are interested as to why you recommend Torcello? We might have to include it this time.

Also, we would love to hear your restaurant recommendations. It has been seven years since we were last there and places may have changed.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

lisa, thank you for reporting back and thank you for your thanks :)

Venice is not universally loved. Never really was, not even when it was that crowded.

I used to recommend traveling off season but I am not sure off season exists anymore. Even last early December was busy.

I would say, go ahead and submit your report. All points of view and experiences should be considered.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

Julie, as mentioned in my report, we loved the Corner Pub but for more 'upmarket' restaurants, Antiche Carampane and Agli Alboretti were our favourites. The TA members I mentioned in my report give detailed reviews of restaurants, especially Ziggy who virtually gave a 'ball by ball' description of his time in each restaurant.

With regard to Torcello, it's best that I direct you to an article written in Venice Insider by TA member, Katia from Belgium - for details check my very first post today (I only have three posts in total)

Anna, I don't know how to post my report above. Some time ago I witnessed a previous report giving 'tips and hints for travellers to Venice' being savaged by one DE in particular, for no good reason IMO - the poor fellow was only doing what I have done and related his experience. As his report was negative in relation to staying in Venice, as is mine, his report didn't make it to the list above - in fact, it was removed entirely from the forum despite compliments from many TA members. Unlike you, some people can't accept that Venice is not universally loved. I'll leave it at that.

As an 'extra' to my above report I must state that train travel was great throughout Italy. Many thanks Sydneynick for your clear and concise information.

Mentioned in this post
Antiche Carampane
Antiche Carampane
1,295 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ristorante Agli Alboretti
Ristorante Agli Alboretti
528 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,918 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

Reviews are opinions whether good or bad, give people an insight of what to expect, I find people do not like Venice, they love or hate it,Just cut and paste add to the list at the top of the Venice forum,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

There are two certainties in this world.

1. Venice will be crowded. Unfortunate and in general unavoidable.

2. If anyone posts on this forum saying that Venice did not do it for them, there will be many negative comments. Unfortunate, and totally avoidable. The negative comments contribute very little.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

Lisa, I agree you should copy your report to the trip report section on top here. I also think I remember reading a couple of pretty critical reports there, so yours wouldn't be the only one. You just copy the URL of this thread and paste it in the trip report section. Shame that this other report was removed from the forum ...

Was it just the crowds that put you off, or was there something else? And would you let us know what else you did during your week in Venice? I'd be really curious. But glad you enjoyed the rest of what you visited in Italy! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

Philosophically, this is interesting. We just spent ten nights in Venice, before Edinburgh, Oban, York, Manchester, Caernarfon, Newport, Stow on Wold, Bath, Portsmouth and now Dover, with London to come.

We have spent generally three or four nights in places, and I don’t think we have found places that we have fallen in love with, other than Venice, of course. Maybe it takes a whole lot more time to engage, to move from tourist to sort-of-resident, I don’t know. Maybe it is harder to engage with bigger cities, I don’t know.

Perhaps if we had been travelling by bicycle, canal boat or foot, it might have been different, more engaging, more loveable. But that’s how it goes.

So people will visit Venice and get hooked, other people will visit and not get hooked. The hooked persons will advise the not-hooked persons how they might have found or encountered a suitable hook, and it does not matter in the least. People will advise (I plead guilty, your honour) that if the crowds are getting to you, take a picnic to Certosa. Problem is that now on Certosa, there is totally nothing to see, other than a lack of people.

So for visitors, fall in love, or don’t fall in love.

It’s no big deal.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
London
London
England, UK
Venice Certosa Hotel
Venice Certosa Hotel
177 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

I agree with you Peter. My first overseas visit was in 1976 and I deliberately decided not to visit Venice (in Italy I only visited Rome and Florence, 6 nights for each city) I visited Venice many years later and was honestly shocked at how much I fell in love with Venice. Who knows if I would have felt the same way if I visited all those years ago. It doesn't bother me if people don't like Venice but what does is when people have a bad experience (encounter with staff, fines, etc.) and then come on TA and blame it on the residents, the city or the country. Whether someone likes Venice or not is so subjective and personal and certainly is not everyone's cup of tea.

We each react differently to the places we visit and sometimes I really don't think there's any rhyme or reason why we are enamoured with some places, are indifferent or dislike other places. All I know is that I never expected to be so enthralled with Venice but I think it's good for visitors to come back to TA and express their opinions, whether they enjoyed Venice or not.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:06
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Illinois
Level Contributor
18,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

It's interesting to read your impressions. I also just got back from Venice. My trip also included Salzburg and Vienna, and I think I liked Venice the best of the 3. I thought the crowds were a lot worse in Vienna, which surprised me.

That said, Venice was different from other places I've been. It didn't seem like a place to do things, but just a place to wander around and sit at cafes and people watch. Sort of like a beach vacation without the sand. ;-) If I were planning a trip back to Venice, I'd have places to go, but that wouldn't be the reason for going, I'd be going just to hang out. If I were planning a trip back to Vienna, it would be more to see the museums I didn't have time for. If I were planning a trip back to Salzburg, it would be to get out in the country more. (In fact, I might not even stay in Salzburg.)

I too wonder if it was only the crowds that you didn't like about the city. Sometimes I think I just don't "click" with a city. I love London. Some people hate it. I didn't like Paris that much the first time around, but on a repeat trip where I got more off the beaten path I really liked it. It interests me why some people like a city and some people don't. I'd be interested to hear more specifics about your trip.

I think Peter might have at least one factor - I think if you don't spend enough time somewhere you're less likely to like it, as you end up just running from one tourist attraction to another and don't really get a feel for the city.

You don't need an invitation to link in the Trip Reports thread. Just cut and paste the URL. I remember that other trip report, but not in enough detail to even guess at why it was removed. Just FYI, you can contact TA if you think a post has been reported wrongly and they will decide if it should be reinstated. I've done it a couple of times. If the other report wasn't in the trip reports thread, it wasn't because it "didn't make the list" - it was because the poster didn't post a link there. Although once it was removed, the link wouldn't go anywhere anymore.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: May/early June 2018

Don't give up on Venice just yet Lisa! My first visit was in the month of August and I was so underwhelmed that it took me 25 years to return and even then the return visit was to attend a family celebration rather than a destination of my choice. I now visit in winter and often wonder if I really was in the same place all those summers ago. I adore the place and feel totally at home there now. There are so many lovely places in the world to enjoy and Venice may never be your cup of tea but the time of the year that one visits Venice himpactsas an enormous impact on our experience. Friends regularly visit the Lidl in summer and love it. If we go out there during the winter it's abandoned and for me, charmless.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Reply to: Trip Report: May/early June 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted