We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Venice

Ruston, Louisiana
5 posts
Save Topic
Munich to Venice

I will be taking my car and driving to Venice On July 12. I shall appreciate you in put about best place to stay in Venice. I do not have a big budget still would like to go to a good clean air conditioned hotel. I would also like to know best places for sight seeing in Venice and on my way from Munich to Venice.

canada
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Venice

Hi mike, are you joking? Do you really mean that you want to save money by going to the drivable part of Venice (Maestre)? Don´t mind paying for your car to rest day and night, but not too much for yourself for the night? You see the best places for sightseeing in Venice are only approachable by foot or boat.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,064 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Venice

I do not know if the other person meant not s to stay in Venice proper, there are places to stay in Venice which will not break the Bank,but sgree if in Summer A/C is a must, Venice is not big so and very walkable best to get a good guide book to find what interests you,look at sites like www.venere.com to get an idea to hotels in your price range,

Ruston, Louisiana
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Venice

Thanks for your suggestions. I have booked up a hotel Locanda Ca' Zose in Venice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Venice

mikeruston, you should know that driving on to the island of Venice and parking is an expensive plan. It costs around EUR 25 per day to park on the island and of course, the whole time you're in Venice you won't be needing a car. The main advantage of parking on the island is that you won't need to set foot into a train and you can usually just walk with your luggage to your hotel.If you park on the island, you would park near here: maps.google.com/maps…

Alternatively, for about EUR 12-15, you can park in Mestre (the closest mainland city to Venice), near the train station and take an easy 10 minute train on to the island. If you park in Mestre, you would park here: maps.google.com/maps… - or here there is a new outdoor parking lot: maps.google.com/maps…

Regarding your drive from Munich to Venice, the fastest way is the E45, which takes you through Innsbruck, Austria, which turns into the Italian Autostrada (tollroad) A22 - and goes through Bolzano and then around Verona before connecting with the A4 east to Venice. Keep in mind that although the highway in Germany is completely free, you'll have to stop when entering Austria to buy a toll sticker for your car windshield (there are signs showing where to stop), this sticker is good for 10 days, it costs €7.60 - if you fail to buy a sticker, the fine is €400 or more. You'll also pay at the Brenner Pass autobahn (€8.00) and the Italian tolls to Venice will cost around €8.00 - total cost with gas is about €70.

Both Innsbruck and Bolzano are fine places to stop along the way - with Bolzano being my highly recommended stop for lunch.

Alternatively, since you will be passing through the Italian Dolomites, easily among the most beautiful mountains in the world, you can divert and take the E66 through Brunico and Cortina, then south - or take the SS242 through Val Gardena and around. I can say, that if you have the time and like mountain driving, this area will be among the most memorable drives of your lifetime. Most roads are well marked but a good map, or better a GPS, is essential.

The Via Michelin website has a good website for driving routes in Europe, including gas and toll cost estimates: http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/Itineraires?strStartLocid=31M2h1YTEwY05EZ3VNVE01TVRNPWNNVEV1TlRnd01Uaz0=&strDestLocid=31NDFvdm4xMGNORFV1TkRNME5qWT1jTVRJdU16TTRPQT09strStartLocid=31M2h1YTEwY05EZ3VNVE01TVRNPWNNVEV1TlRnd01Uaz0=&strDestLocid=31NDFvdm4xMGNORFV1TkRNME5qWT1jTVRJdU16TTRPQT09&empriseW=315&empriseH=275&intItineraryType=4&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&distance=km&strVehicle=0&devise=1.0|EUR&carbCost=1.3&isAvoidFrontiers=false&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6&dtmDeparture=20/6/2009&indemnite=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0

If you would like more info, just post here.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
46 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Venice

I drove the E533 from Munich to Venice two days ago and the scenery was spectacular! I parked at the multi-story garage across (and slightly east) from the Mestre train station (28 euros for 2.5 days) and found the garage to be very clean and secure. We took the train into Venice for 1 euro each way. Enjoy!

Louisiana
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Venice

Thank you all very much for very nice suggestions. Parking at Mestre appears quite appealing. Could I buy a parking ticket in line?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
46 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Venice

I do not know about buying the ticket online. I took a ticket at the entrance gate, then paid at the self-serve machine next to the lift (cash and credit card) after returning. You will need to take your ticket from the pay machine with you in order to get out. There is no attendant at the exit gate. Just insert your ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich to Venice

n2history's got it right, good explanation. You cannot buy a ticket before hand online as you only pay for the hours you use afterward. I would only reiterate that as you enter the parking lot, there is a gate and ticket machine - press the button, out comes a ticket. Put that ticket directly into your wallet - you'll need it when you want to leave. The cashier is an automated machine only located on the ground floor.

From the parking structure, you just walk across the street to the Mestre train station. Enter, turn right and walk down the platform about 200ft to a large yellow ATM-looking machine (there are two together). This is an automated train ticket machine with instructions in English (and other languages). Your destination is Venezia Santa Lucia, usually abbreviated V. S. L. or Venezia S. Lucia or Venezia S. L., or any variation of this theme. You should buy at least two tickets for each person in your group, a return journey. They cost €1.00 each and the machine works best with a €1 coin. Tickets are white, about 5" x 1.5" and are only used once. Be sure to stamp (validate) one ticket per passenger per ride in the little yellow machines that are attached to random columns at about waist height. You can board nearly any train that is going south (left when facing the tracks from the platform) except a Eurostar (see this image for reference: http://www.italianoleggio.it/UserFiles/Image/Trenitalia/Eurostar.jpg). The regular trains look like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Grancomfort_MI.jpg)

It's usually best to just wait at platform 1 for the next train instead of taking the stairs underground. The journey might stop in Venezia Porto Marghera, where no one will get on or off - stay on until the terminus in Venice.

To return, the same rules apply.

9. Re: Munich to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 13:19