We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Venice by train

US
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Topic
Milan to Venice by train

How much is the fare. Checked out raileurope and it wasn't popping up for me. Thanks.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Venice by train

i got from milan to venice(milano centrale a venezia s.lucia) 2nd class for about $45.00 per person(we are going in May,2006).Regular coach. They have fees for the ticket,but be careful,you must also get a reservation,for which there is a fee. sometimes it helps to do this through a trusted travel agent(as the trains in italy are notorious for being unreliable-i still use them,but have had mishaps!)it is a good way to get from place to place,and see scenery(which is often gorgeous,as well as bleak).buona fortuna!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,726 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Venice by train

I am surprised at the previous response saying trains in Italy are notoriously unreliable. Over the past 25 years I have used them and found them punctual and reliable. The only problem is when there is a strike which can happen anywhere.

If you try www.trenitalia.it this will give you timetables and you can buy tickets for up to 6/8 weeks in advance. If you want to know prices and it is some considerable time before you plan to travel just put in next week's date and the prices will come up.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Venice by train

45 US$? You mean return, right?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Venice by train

Don't go through RailEurope - expensive, timetables are incomplete

Use Trenitalia-

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

The trains are reliable only late sometimes(5-10 mins is what I've experienced). Don't know where that 1st poster paid $(eu?)45/each(maybe roundtrip as "altamiro" states) for her trip. 2nd class seats are 20.66eu one way and add a 3eu mandatory reservation for the Eurostar.

USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Venice by train

Hello VikeGuru.

For which dates did you check the Milan-Venice fares on Raileurope? I just had $32 one way on Raileurope and $27.08 on Trenitalia (but they won't ship the tickets in the US as you know)

Ciao!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,669 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Venice by train

Trains between Venice and Milan are so frequent, is a ticket in hand before arrival that critical?

US
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan to Venice by train

If it isn't imperative, I would just pay upon arrival to the station. I know that sometimes, it costs more if you pay on the train for the fare as opposed to already having the ticket in hand. Advice?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milan to Venice by train

As far as I know, you cannot buy your ticket on the train in Italy. You must buy it prior to boarding. For the regional trains, you must validate it on the platform. And several classes of trains such as the Eurostar, EC, ICPlus and CIS require MANDATORY reservations. The IC has 2 options - 2nd class unreserved seats or you can make a reservation for 1st or 2nd class.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan to Venice by train

>If it isn't imperative, I would just pay upon arrival to the station. I know that sometimes, it costs more if you pay on the train for the fare as opposed to already having the ticket in hand. Advice?

If I were you I would factor in 20-30 min before the train departure, arrive at the station that much earlier and use the time to buy the tickets (possibly from the vending machine to save time). It does cost more (if at all possible) to buy the tickets on the train, but it doesn't cost more to buy the tickets on the station before departure. And unless it is an absolute imperative to use the Eurostar, jump into the next Intercity train - just as fast and no reservation required.

Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Milan to Venice by train

Hi,

I will be in Milan in June and would like to take the train to Venice. How long did it take you to get there?

I'm going to be in Milan for 10 days and also want to head in the other direction and take the train to Switzerland. Have you done that and do you have any suggestions as to which would be the closest city in Switzerland to stop at.

Thank you - Mary