We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for driving around Sardinia?

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips for driving around Sardinia?

I have not been to Sardinia before and would like to know what I should be aware of when driving around. I have driven through Sicily so have some idea of driving in Italy.

On our first day I will be driving from Olbia Airport to Stintino. I would appreciate any tips.

(For example, in Sicily I avoided driving in downtown Palermo.)

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Olbia
Olbia
Sardinia, Italy
Stintino
Stintino
Sardinia, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
2 replies to this topic
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,156 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips for driving around Sardinia?

If you drove in Sicily you will have no trouble driving in Sardinia.

The main thing to remember about driving in cities is that some of them have restricted areas where you cannot drive at all, or only at certain times. Details for Sardinia are here: urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu… You will be fined if you drive into one (there are cameras) and the rental company with make a hefty charge for passing your details to the police on top of the fine.

But these areas are the historic centres where you wouldn't be driving anyway. Otherwise, driving in town can be busy but generally it's fine.

Mentioned in this post
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips for driving around Sardinia?

Thank you DouglasDC8 for your helpful response. I'll take note of the urban areas just incase.

Reply to: Any tips for driving around Sardinia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted