We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina, Siracusa or Catania

London, United...
2 posts
Taormina, Siracusa or Catania

Hello :)

Need some help as I cannot choose between Taormina, Siracusa or Catania. Flying next week with my partner on Thursday afternoon and leaving Saturday night, so our time in Sicily is limited. We would like a beautiful, relaxed place with a holiday feel, but in the same time vibrant bars, some nightlife, sicilain markets, nice beach, archeological sites, and Sicilian authenciy. Bonus if it's a bit romantic. I might be asking for a lot, but trying to find thr best place for us to stay based on the above. We live in London normally, so I am fed up with massive cities and tons of traffic. Originally my plan was to visit mt.Etna, but worried there is not much time. Please help and share your knowledge, would be super grateful :)

3 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Taormina, Siracusa or Catania

I guess Taormina is the only one that ticks all your boxes.

I personally prefer Siracusa, great Archeological sites, much cheaper and more authentic than Taormina in my opinion. But there are no beaches even though you can get to Fontane Bianche in 15 minutes by train (plus the time to get to the train station): I know it's not a lot, but when you come from London spending half of your day commuting on trains, the last thing you want to do is commuting to the beach while on holidays.

The main square in Catania is amazing and the nightlife is great. I know there are beaches there, but I haven't been so not sure what they are like and how far, I'm sure Vagabonda can tell you more.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 16:54
London, United...
2 posts
2. Re: Taormina, Siracusa or Catania

Thanks for advice !! Much appreciated.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
3. Re: Taormina, Siracusa or Catania

I have not been to Siracusa but I have been to Catania and Taormina and I would choose Taormina without any hesitation. Lovely scenery, lots of places to stay, fabulous grecoRoman theater with THAT view of Mt. Etna.

Beach access, too. A truly special place.

Reply to: Taormina, Siracusa or Catania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted