We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary feedback please

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary feedback please

our family is very excited to be staying in Sicily in September. We were in Italy last year for almost three weeks and just loved it so much we are returning.

We are flying in from Sardinia to Catania and flying out of Palmero.

. We are a family of 4 ( 2'adults, 2 kids aged 9 and 10) and would probably be base ourselves in Ortigia and Palmero.

23/9 - arrive into Catania from Sardinia in the afternoon, private transfer to Ortigia

24/9 - Ortigia exploring day

25/9 - day trip to Ragusa hopefully using Handy Sicily if price is right

26/9 - Explore working Syracuse

27/9 - trip to Noto, using interbus? Or, do we hire a car just for the day. We would have driven in Sardinia but maybe Syracuse will be too hectic? IF we want to hire the car just to drive to Noto do you think it's worth it? , and can we avoid busy streets, are there restricted zones?

28/9 - Handy Sicily one day tour and transfer to Palmero via Agrigento where we would stop and view Valley OF temple. Would our luggage be safe in Handy Sicily car? Stay in Palmero

29/9 - Palmero exploring

30/9 - Trapani/ Erice via cable car. What is the best way to get to the cable car? Do you suggest public transport or private transfer

1/10 - Fly out first thing to Pisa

We like to get a feel for a place and the kids don't like moving too frequently, hence the two bases. We would have just come from Sardinia hence there is no real beach destinations on our Sicilian wish list.

We love history, food and culture but are mindful that we won't get to experience everything in our short stay. We are from Australia and it's unfortunate we have to limit our time in Italy to one month.

We would very much appreciate your help with feedback on itinerary. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary feedback please

I am sorry for the incorrect spelling of Palermo,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary feedback please

I'm thinking the 29/9 transfer to Palermo via Valley of the Temple maybe too long of a day?

California
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary feedback please

hi...we went to Sicily October 2014 for 15 days and had a wonderful adventure....I'm sure destination expert, Vagabonda, will help guide you with her excellent advice. Here are a few observations to your post--

Firstly, Sicily is optimally a two-week destination and you have 8 nights. It is also a large island and there's travel time and of course, time to visit destinations....it is a remarkable island filled with treasures and quite difficult to not want to 'see it all'.

Noto: you can go to Noto via a bus from Siracuse. But you are trying to jam in too many baroque towns without sufficient time.....I would drop Ragusa and Noto (which is sadly much too tourist-oriented) and go to beautiful Modica.

It will behoove you to be aware of the general driving restrictions in Sicily/Italy, as well as the ZTL zones and what they mean. Cars are not allowed into historic city centers and parking is highly regulated. Cameras enforce infractions and if you aren't attentive, hefty fines will result.

Going from Siracuse to Palermo via Agrigento in one day: yes, in my opinion, that is too much. And it seems you only have one day for Palermo?

Here is a full itinerary for 8 days/8 nights, with travel time, fly in Catania/out Palermo:

--arrive Catania, hire driver to Ortigia - 1/2 day

--Ortigia 3.5 days/4 nights (day trip Modica, 2.5 days Ortigia & Siracuse)

--pick up rental car in Siracuse, drive to Agrigento - 1/2 day

--Agrigento/Valley of the Temples 1/2 day/1 night

--drive to Palermo airport after breakfast, drop off rental car, take shuttle bus into city - 1/2 day

--Palermo 3.5 days/4 nights (tour to Erice, 1/2 day Monreale, 2 days Palermo)

--fly out Palermo

Or your family might like a day out in Cefalu instead of Erice. A more relaxing expansive adventure...beach, pretty town. Take the train from Palermo.

Leaving luggage in rental cars: you do not wish to do this, not even in the trunk. That is why an overnight in Agrigento is beneficial and it also breaks up the long day. I have no idea about leaving luggage with a hired driver...but I would be hesitant.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 08:55
California
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary feedback please

whoops.....i did not count correctly. As you can see, the proposed itinerary is for 9 nights, not 8. With the correct amount of days, that leaves you with 2.5 days/3 nights for Palermo. Forget Monreale...and if you think you only need 1.5 days for Palermo, then I would take a day in Cefalu.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
110,152 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary feedback please

Welcome to Sicily Kristie V!

Two bases would work well for you, and with a willingness to hire transfers, you can easily get by without hiring a car.

You might visit Noto by train, Interbus, or AST bus.

Bus service from Syracuse to Noto & Ragusa:

https:/…75072933

You would be fine with your luggage with Handy Sicily. Such scenic transfers maximise time.

There is left luggage storage in Agrigento as well.

Agrigento Left Luggage Storage!:

https:/…90668691

You might regret so little time exploring Palermo.

And Palermo isn't an optimal base for a day trip to Erice. Consider an excursion, or you would spend hours in transit that day.

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary feedback please

Thank you Chester9cat and Vagabonda. You have given some wise advice especially about day trips to Trapani , Valley of Temples and spending more time in Palermo, which sounds like such a vibrant place to stay.

We will not go to day to Trapani/ Erice and perhaps forget about The Valley of the Temples. We were in Greece last year and my history loving ten year old got to see fine examples of Greek ruins. Maybe we can explore Sicily more on our next trip to Italy. I have a feeling we will be returning again soon. THank you again for providing feedback.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 13:33
Reply to: Itinerary feedback please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted