We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had an extra night....

Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
If you had an extra night....

Let's say that as you play with your itinerary and listen carefully to advice both here and from friends who've been to Sicily, you start to seriously consider taking one night from Venice at the beginning of the trip, and giving it to Sicily, for a total of 13 nights in Sicily instead of 12.

Would you:

Spend that extra night in Ragusa (for a total of 4 nights to include much beach time).

Or

Spend that extra night in Taormina (where you currently only have two nights?)

Hypothetically of course..... Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Ragusa
Ragusa
Sicily, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
78 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
111,335 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had an extra night....

Hi pirula778,

How many nights would you have in total in Venice?

And could you please provide your entire itinerary, travel dates, and transport?

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had an extra night....

Hi Vaganonda!

Don't have travel dates yet. Early/Mid June of 2019.

We'll have a rental car we'll pick up at Palermo airport. Flying out of Catania. 3 adults (okay, freaks me out a bit to write that for the first time ever. But yes, DS will be 18 by then so an "adult." Yikes.)

Without taking the night from Venice, we have::

4 nights Venice (including arrival in Italy day. We handle jet lag very well.

2 nights Palermo

4 nights Trapani

1 night Agrigento

3 nights Ragusa area (not exactly sure where, maybe but on the water. Maybe Punta Braccetto)

2 nights Taormina

Priorities are water and ruins. This trip is all DS' idea and is to celebrate a big graduation. The boys want to do a temple dive in Taormino. Since they have to wait 24 hours before they fly they'd have to do it on the first day there, which is a little tight. No time currently to visit Etna, but doesn't seem to be any particular interest in doing anything more than seeing it from afar. I'm therefore inclined to add the extra day to Taormina if it's worthwhile. But I just don't know...

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ragusa
Ragusa
Sicily, Italy
Punta Braccetto
Punta Braccetto
Sicily, Italy
Etna Suite
Etna Suite
415 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
111,335 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had an extra night....

Hi pirula778,

Having an overview of your entire itinerary facilitates responding.

So three adults! :-)

Would you spend your three full days in Venice, or are you anticipating any day trips during your time in Venice?

Without day trips from Venice, consider 3 nights in Venice.

And then add that night to Palermo.

There's so much to see and do in Palermo. With only two nights, you would only have one full day.

Collect the car at Aeroporto Palermo after departing Palermo.

What do you intend with four nights in Trapani?

You "could" see Agrigento along the way as there's left luggage storage in Agrigento.

And then perhaps spend the night in Piazza Armerina and see the Villa Romana del Casale.

Is there a reason why you've omitted Siracusa?

Reconsider Punta Braccetto for nicer areas.

If an additional night in Palermo doesn't appeal, and there's no interest in Siracusa (a major historical/ruins destination), then add the night to Taormina, but you could probably do with only two nights in Taormina.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Piazza Armerina
Piazza Armerina
622 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Punta Braccetto
Punta Braccetto
Sicily, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had an extra night....

Grazie vagabonda! In answer to your questions....

No day trips planned in Venice. Only stay in Venice. No glass factories etc.

My DH's patience with crowds is limited, I know I am going to need to get him out of Palermo asap after three days in Venice. We can always return if we love it. My hope is to leave Palermo in afternoon to get at least a day and a half in. But I'll consider it as I read more about what to do in Palermo.

The plans for Trapani are a half day trip to Erice, a half day trip to Segesta, and water water water. San Vito lo Capo and Favignana.

I will either do the night in Agrigento to avoid the heat and see the temples at night and get a day room at Piazza Armerina or, as you say, just go and then spend the night near the Villa Romana......I"m inclined to do the former currently.

I omitted Siracusa because I have to omit something given the time constraints and the southwest coast looks beautiful and we'd visit Modica as well. Don't like Punta Braccetto? Point taken, is there another nicer beach area you'd recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
San Vito lo Capo
San Vito lo Capo
Sicily, Italy
Favignana
Favignana
Isola di Favignana, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Piazza Armerina
Piazza Armerina
622 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Modica
Modica
Sicily, Italy
Punta Braccetto
Punta Braccetto
Sicily, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had an extra night....

To add to the above comment on DH's limit with crowds, I was just thinking that the "crowd math" remains the same, 6 nights in crowded city, whether it be 4 in Venice and 2 in Palermo, or 3 and 3. So there is that to consider.

Is there really so much to see in Palermo to take a day away from what the boys really want to do which is swim, dive, do nothing, and see ruins?

We're doing Venice for me. Because I want them to see it.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 03:13
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
111,335 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had an extra night....

No day trips from Venice, then 3 nights.

Even if you want them to see Venice.

They want time to dive.

Three nights will do in Venice.

Venice is your love.

They need to decide their love.

You can't compare Venice to Palermo.

Palermo's a joy, not crowded, not touristy, a real city, and a treasure trove of things to see.

But you best know you DH!!

Yes, read more about Palermo.

Then you'll need that time in Trapani for water water!! Yes!

Delightful!

The seas around the Egadi are just gorgeous.

Whatever works for you, just see the Valley of the Temples and the Villa Romanan del Casale however you decide.

Consider that Ortigia combines sea and historical.

Boating around Ortigia, and boating to the caves on the mainland is wonderful, and though not sand, swimming from the rocks into clear and beautiful seas is fantastic.

Not until you do this can you appreciate the wonder.

Siracusa isn't a beach destination, and so it's not high season.

Palermo is special, but perhaps read a bit more.

Diving is great in Taormina too.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Ortigia
Ortigia
12,038 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had an extra night....

Wait wait. Palermo is not crowded? That may change everything then. I will read more on Palermo definitely.

Valley of Temples and Villa Roman are a definite.

Okay. Three nights in Venice it is! Probably better, you're right. I'm not primary on this trip.

So are you suggesting Siracusa over Ragusa? We can only do one. On the rock vs. sandy beach thing: I have to admit that when DS asked to go to Sicily and said he wanted water water water, I was like "Dude, we can go to the Caribbean for that." So actually, the rocky beaches could be a nice and interesting change. And it looks like there's plenty of sand in the Trapani area. Hmmmmm.......

I am astounded to find how much there is to do and see in Sicily and how very different it is depending on where you go. I plead prior ignorance and am utterly ashamed of myself. I 'm not sure I'd have ever even looked into it if DS hadn't had the idea. I've been a pretty adventurous traveler, but Sicily hadn't called me. I am now so so very excited about this trip and discovery of this gem.

Do please let me know then what you think of choosing between Siracusa and Ragusa. Please let me know while I go research Siracusa some more, since I had completely neglected it.

Grazie!!

Edited: 13 June 2018, 19:49
Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Ragusa
Ragusa
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you had an extra night....

Cara vagabonda,

Wow. You have convinced me. Siracusa it is! DH and DS will be over the moon on a day trip around on the water in a sailboat. SOLD!

So now the same question, slightly different. You say two nights in Taormina is enough. Well and good. I still have the extra night I've taken from Venice. Have not yet read up on Palermo I grant you. But do I give that extra night/day to Palermo or to Siracusa so that we can do a day trip to Modica?

Decisions, decisions.....

Off to read more about Palermo.....

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Modica
Modica
Sicily, Italy
California
Level Contributor
12,314 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you had an extra night....

2 nights somewhere usually does not equal 2 days in a location, as one has to travel from the previous destination and then if the schedule is packed, up and on the move when leaving. So 2 nights for Palermo is only 1-1.5 days and yes, there is much to see and do in the capital of Sicily. If you wish to visit Modica, then I suggest add time to Siracuse (or Ortigia).

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Modica
Modica
Sicily, Italy
Ortigia
Ortigia
12,038 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you had an extra night....

Right. that is the question. It's between seeing Modica or spending more time in Palermo. I'm aware of the nights doesn't equal days math, believe me.

Will do more research on both......

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Modica
Modica
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Reply to: If you had an extra night....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted