We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappearing train Salerno to Taormina

London, England
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Disappearing train Salerno to Taormina

We are planning to travel from Salerno to Taormina on 26 September at the beginning of two weeks in Sicily. When I started planning a few months ago I had been expecting to book on the 10am departure but now that booking is open I discover that there is only the 2pm departure time . The other train seems to disappear in early September!

Does anyone know if this is likely to be an online booking glitch or has that train been taken out of the timetable?

It just means we need to spend 4 hours more in Salerno and less in Taormina I suppose!

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
4 replies to this topic
London, England
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disappearing train Salerno to Taormina

And also it seems that there are no trains from Taormina to Siracusa a few days later when we move on again. The timetable is showing me a train to Catania and then a bus to Siracusa. Would there be a better way to make this transfer?

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
110,152 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappearing train Salerno to Taormina

That appears correct.

You might also consider arriving in Messina, and then checking train service from Messina to Taormina, or the Interbus sefrvice from Messina to Taormina.

A replacement bus runs from Catania to Siracusa when there's work on the tracks.

You might also take Interbus from Taormina to Siracusa.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Messina
Messina
Sicily, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
London, England
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappearing train Salerno to Taormina

Thank you for help as ever Vagabonda.

I think we will go with the later direct train as it seems we will need to make a number of connections otherwise with luggage. We can just enjoy a little time on Salerno sea front and shop for a nice onboard picnic.

I think we are fine not to book ahead for the Taormina/Siracusa transfer so we can check the easiest way to do that when we are there. Ironic really as DH drives rail replacement buses over here!

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
110,152 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappearing train Salerno to Taormina

That's a perfect, and reasonable decision to go with a listed run 77alex.

Salerno is a great town, and more attractive with each passing year.

Interbus from Taormina to Siracusa is a longer duration than the train, and then the bus from Taormina to the train station.

There's been replacement bus service in 2016 and 2017 between Catania and Siracusa.

It was hoped that the work was completed, so it's (mildly) interesting that there's a replacement bus in September in 2018, but service appears intact earlier.

Even if a bit lengthy and with a change in Catania, Interbus does depart directly in Taormina.

Perhaps your DH would support his counterpart HERE! :-)

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Reply to: Disappearing train Salerno to Taormina