We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas days Dec 24-26 - stores, restaurants, buses/trains

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Topic
Christmas days Dec 24-26 - stores, restaurants, buses/trains

Hi there, I'm thinking about possibly escaping the next winters' cold to Sicily and would like to see Catania and Sirakusa (I've visited Palermo before so that's not gonna be part of the trip). My visit would possibly include Christmas Eve and Christmas Days, Dec 24-26.

I was wondering what to expect in Catania and Sirakusa Ortigia in terms of open stores (specifically minimarkets/supermarkets for food and drink - I don't need clothing or bookstores), restaurants/pizzerias, and buses and local trains (especially the airport bus from Catania airport into Catania, and the buses or local trains between Catania and Sirakusa). Will these things be working partly, or not at all on Dec 24-26?

Thanks for any info or input!

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Ortigia
Ortigia
11,955 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
2 replies to this topic
modica
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas days Dec 24-26 - stores, restaurants, buses/trains

Public transport will be on the festivo service, but a basic service will run. shops will not be open on 25/26, but restaurants and bars will be open some of the time. Christmas eve evening you will find very little open however. Id stock up on xmas eve day on food and drink to be on the safe side.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
111,048 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas days Dec 24-26 - stores, restaurants, buses/trains

Catania is fantastic through the holidays!!

And so enjoy Catania.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Reply to: Christmas days Dec 24-26 - stores, restaurants, buses/trains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted