We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
263 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated regarding our August trip!

We are Arriving and departing from FCO and will spend two nights in Rome to get rid of the jet lag and also spend the last evening in Rome before our flight. We will be renting a car and driving to to Montepulciano for a three night stay- looking forward to driving through the area for winery tours and food and will plan to visit Montalcino and Pienza.

We have five more nights before returning to Rome city center for a last evening before our flight and are trying to decide between spending the last five nights in Chianti to include day trips to Sienna, Volterra, San Gimiagno, and Florence or should we spend two nights in Chianti for winery tours and the last three nights in Florence ( we could get rid of the car and train it back to Rome).

We have visited Florence twice before and have managed to see the museums, Duomo and walked the city. Have never stayed overnight and would also enjoy being in the city center at night for dinner.

I know this is ambitious but the driving and city visits actually sound relaxing rather than hectic. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Volterra
Volterra
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,061 Reviews
from US$106.30*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,262 Reviews
from US$106.30*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,566 Reviews
from US$100.40*
US$134.60
7 replies to this topic
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

I strongly recommend that you consider spending a few days in Umbria. It’s less touristy and just as interesting. We like to stay close to Bevagna at Genius Loci Country Inn. It’s centrally located to the Umbrian hill towns and a beautiful location.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

I would also suggest that you consider staying in Pienza instead of Montepulciano. It’s smaller and easy to get everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

It really depends on your interests. August in Florence can be terribly hot and crowded so bear that in mind. We spent six days in the Siena/Chianti area in August and it was really lovely. We booked a hotel with pool so sprinkled in down/pool time in between sightseeing. We visited all the Chianti towns, San Gimignano, Siena. There is certainly enough to keep you busy for 5 nights - we saw a lot but we didn't even scratch the surface -- and if you have never been before it may be nice to focus on the countryside versus Florence where you have already been.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
263 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

Thank you so much for the input. We have already booked Montepulciano at locanda de San Francisco and are looking forward to our stay.

Now I need to focus on Chianti- is Greves a better choice for restaurants than Radda- not interested in driving dark and twisty roads and would like to enjoy some delicious wine with dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

Greve is farther north vs Radda which will add driving time to your day trips. I like Radda better but that's just me. One of my favorites restaurants is there. Plus it's an easy drive to tiny Volpaia as well as Panzano.

Mentioned in this post
Volpaia
Volpaia
343 Reviews
Radda in Chianti, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

I much prefer Radda too. It may not have Greve's magnificent piazza but it's otherwise a far prettier town high on a hill affording stunning views. We don't have any particular favourite restaurant in Radda as we tend to eat at Volpaia when in that area but as with everywhere in the Tuscan countryside, you won't eat badly irrespective of where you opt for. And I would definitely stay here rather than Greve for that is a long way north.

Mentioned in this post
Volpaia
Volpaia
343 Reviews
Radda in Chianti, Italy
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
263 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary

I really appreciate your help and will begin the search in Radda- can't wait for August to get here !😊

Reply to: Need advice for the second half of our itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted