We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

Suceava, Romania
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

Hello!

On our holiday in September we will be in Tuscany. Among the hilltop towns we want to visit are Pienza and Montepulciano. Unfortunately, we have to choose only one of this. I watched the videos on youtube, I read about them, but in the absence of direct experience I find it hard to make a choice, so please help me to choose one. We will travel by public transport, and we will have only half a day available for that. Thak you!

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
7 replies to this topic
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

Hi, are you aware that these towns are extremely close to each other and that you could see both of them easily? By the way, If I had to choose, it would be Pienza: because of her peculiar history, her architecture, and the one of a kind landscapes typical of Val d'Orcia.

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Val d'Orcia
Val d'Orcia
318 Reviews
Tuscany, Italy
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
955 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

Even with half a day you can do both. Both towns are charming and tiny and there are no museums to visit (except for Palazzo Piccolomini in Pienza, which I would suggest to skip), so you will not be affected by attractions’ closing hours. Walk, enjoy the views, dive into the side streets away from the crowds, have a nice lunch or dinner, a good glass of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano... You will love them both. We revisited them this year and enjoyed seeing familiar places so much... Nothinng much changed in ten years and it is great... Oh well, more crowds of course...🙁

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Piccolomini
Palazzo Piccolomini
431 Reviews
Pienza, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Nobile Bistro
Nobile Bistro
473 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Suceava, Romania
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

Thank you very much, Kuroneko. Yes, I am fully aware that there are only 20 minutes from one another with car, but with the public transport from Siena (where we'll stay) and back it is very difficult to fit into the bus schedule, especially because we will have only the afternoon available in that day.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

You're welcome! Ok, if you're relying on public transport and have only one afternoon available, then you'd better choose only one town. Still I would choose Pienza.

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
955 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

I would vote for Pienza too - for the ethereal views.

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Suceava, Romania
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

Thank you very much Kuroneko and Noraatc, we almost certainly choose Pienza, though, architecturally, from what I saw, Montepulciano seems to be closer to the city style I like.

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
955 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me

You really cannot go wrong with either choice. Montepulciano is lovely and you will enjoy your short trip.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Reply to: Montepulciano or Pienza? Please help me
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted