We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
602 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

as a first timer on my honeymoon i have waivered back and forth between staying in a hotel or apartment in a popular city (Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano) or staying in an Agriturismo either just outside or far outside of the city.

i am sure a good argument could be made for either, but i am curious what most suggest. if staying within the walls, i am sure the convenience of being able to explore town, grab a bottle of wine or some cheese at a local shop and retreat back to your room at night is quite nice.

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Agriturismo Monte Argentario
Agriturismo Monte...
213 Reviews
Monte Argentario, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,161 Reviews
from US$107.20*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,582 Reviews
from US$101.20*
US$135.80
Free Cancellation
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,313 Reviews
from US$107.20*
Free Cancellation
6 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

Can you do both? If you can fit in both experiences, that is a nice balance.

I find what works best for us is often somewhere close to town (like a 20 minute walk), where we might get a view or a little more quiet, but we can still walk to town. Especially if it is a short stay, having to drive or take a bus everywhere is just not in my plans. We also drink with dinner, and we never drive after doing so--making the decision an easy one. Picture how you wish to spend your days and evenings and plan accordingly.

Level Contributor
2,775 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

Good advice. Another consideration may be whether you plan to have a car rental. Often you cannot drive within city walls but rather need to park in carparks just outside city walls. Sometimes, hotels within walls have designated parking spots but it is certainly something to look into and consider. We stayed at a beautiful hotel outside of Siena with incredible views. It was stunning and had a pool for mid day breaks from sightseeing. Dinners however require more planning so another consideration.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
New York, New York...
Level Contributor
602 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

i definitely want to be able to go out and eat, drink without worrying about driving.

i already have the Politian Apartments in Montepulciano booked for 5 nights this July but i can still change them (i think).

are there any really great Agriturismo walking distance to some of the larger hill towns of Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico d'Orcia, etc. that i can/should investigate?

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Agriturismo Monte Argentario
Agriturismo Monte...
213 Reviews
Monte Argentario, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
San Quirico d'Orcia
San Quirico d'Orcia
890 Reviews
San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

There are very few country places within an easy walk of any of these towns that you could do safely on a dark evening along the road (no sidewalk, no street lighting) so if I were you I would stay in town. Living within the town or village walls (not "city" that suggests a very large built up area whereas some of ours are barely 1000 people) is a very different, quite a special experience, especially if you are staying for the period of time you are. It enables you to obtain bit of an insight into hill town local life that many visitors have told me is a major part of their enjoyment of a vacation. And then you have all the conveniences that you are already aware of.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

Terrapille is an agritourismo that sits about 2km outside of Pienza. The scenery is fabulous because it sits on a hill in middle of a very large bowl of Tuscan countryside. Great scenery in all directions. It has a pool, and the owners are wonderfully friendly and helpful. There is also a road that is virtually never used by vehicles that goes directly into Pienza; it's mostly gravel and dirt. www.terrapille.it

Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to stay inside or outside city walls?

"it's mostly gravel and dirt" and possibly treacherous at night due to the sometimes quite deep potholes, no? Also, a good 30+ mins mostly up an extremely steep hill to the centre of the village and restaurants. Fabulous place, no doubt, but even knowing the track, walking it regularly during the day, I personally wouldn't want to negotiate it at night.

Reply to: Better to stay inside or outside city walls?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted