We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

Hi friends, spending 9 nights in the Tuscany region for my honeymoon. Any suggestions regarding my itinerary (does it sound "too busy?"). We are looking for a relaxing experience combining a the best of the city (i.e. Florence) and the countryside.

day 1- fly into Pisa, pick up car, drive to Lucca

day 2- Lucca -> Florence

day 3- Florence

Day 4- Florence

Day 5- Florence -> drive to Chianti region, stay in the countryside

wine tour

Day 6- Chianti -> drive to and stay in Chiusi or Montepulciano,

more wine tours,

possible spa visit http://www.termesensoriali.it

day trip to Siena

(do you think it's okay to stay in Chiusi and drive to all these places during the day? Or is montepulciano better?)

Day 7- late trip from Chiusi/Montepulciano to Pisa, vs. stay in CHiusi/Montepulciano another night

Day 8 - Pisa

Day 9 - Pisa, flight out early next morning.

Any thoughts? I've never planned a trip like this before :) thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

I forgot to mention that our trip will be in early April!

woodstock new york
Level Contributor
297 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

Sounds very good. If you stay in Chianti, there is a lovely hotel in Greve, Albergo del Chianti. When in Tuscany, visit Radda, Castelina, and Giaole. Also the loveliest town, Panzano has wonderful view and Il Giardino Ristorante. Congratulations.

Mentioned in this post
Albergo del Chianti
Albergo del Chianti
279 Reviews
Greve in Chianti, Italy
Il Giardino
Il Giardino
578 Reviews
Elba Island, Italy
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

HI

Congratulations. May I suggest that you spend 2 nights in the beautiful medieval walled city of Lucca as you say you want a relaxing experience.

You can take a leisurely walk or hire a bicycle to go around the city walls, have a nice meal in one of the many restaurants, climb the Guinigi tower which has trees growing on the top and has lovely views of rooftop Lucca and the surrounding hills, or just wander around the streets soaking up the atmosphere.

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Guinigi Tower
Guinigi Tower
3,257 Reviews
Lucca, Italy
Montepulciano
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

Hi, it's just a personal opinion: I would avoid changind too much hotels .

In my experience and considering the short distances between the places of interest in Tuscany, you can waste a lot of time in packing/unpacking luggagges, checking-in and checking-out from every hotel and in reaching every time a new accomodation . I think it's shorter coming back at night driving in a known road than reaching an unknown destination.

So, I would do :

day 1- fly into Pisa, pick up car, drive to Lucca

day 2- Lucca -> full day in town ( wonderfu place !!!!l-a not to miss in Tuscany), spend the night in Lucca

day 3-Lucca -Florence ( 30-40 minutes by car), almost a full day in town for exploring the historic center

Day 4- Florence : full day. Uffizi, Accademia and so on.

Day 5- Florence -> drive to Chianti region , full day tour with wine tasting, back to Florence ( 30-40 minutes drive ?)

Day 6 Florence -> drive to Siena. Full day in Siena ( 40minutes from Florence) and back to Florence

Day 7- leave at morning from Florence and drive to Chiusi or Montepulciano (1 hour 15-30minutes). Spend the day in Chiusi or Montepulciano/Pienza and stay there the night

Day 8- explore Pienza ( if you didn't stop the day before- it's 10 minutes from Momtepulciano) , Bagno Vignoni ( 10 min from Pienza), Montalcino (only if interested in wine tasting), Sant'Antimo'sAbbey,Back to Chiusi/Montepulciano accomodation ( 40 minutes by car)

Day 9 - Pisa ( 2 hours 30 minutes driving), explore Pisa

Day 10-flight out early morning

Ciao and congratulations for your wedding!

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Bagno Vignoni
Bagno Vignoni
Province of Siena, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

Thank you friends, for your blessings and for your sugesstions. I see it may be more helpful to use Florence more as a "base" for a few days.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any special events (concerts, festivals, etc.) that may be taking place in the region?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

www.puccinielasualucca.com/en/events.asp…

Montepulciano
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

www.terresiena.it/index.php…

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

You don't need the car until day 5, so I would use the train to get from Pisa airport to Lucca and from Lucca to Florence. Parking is expensive and sometimes difficult to find in Florence and then of course there are the camera enforced ZTLs in Florence, Lucca, Siena and Pisa. If you don't know about ZTLs already please take the time to read the article about driving in Tuscany, above and to the right, in the Top Questions section, it could save you from getting some nasty fines.

Chiusi old town is very nice, but much smaller than Montepulciano, so there is more to see and do in Montepulciano, a bigger choice of restaurants etc.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
9. Re: honeymoon in Tuscany, how does this itinerary sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 20:17