We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to Cortona

Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to Cortona

I am travelling alone and hope to visit Cortona in Oct 2010. I dont want to hire a car and i would like to know if I can get to Cortona by bus/train from closest airport/ major city. I am a mature female traveller

Also any advice about the best place to stay, prefer B & B

Any advice gratefully received

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Province of Arezzo, Italy
Eremo Le Celle
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cetona's Belvedere
Cemeteries, Caverns & Caves
Piazza della Repubblica
Points of Interest & Landmarks
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to Cortona

The closest airport is Florence.

You can reach Cortona from either Rome or Florence by Trenitalia "regionale" ("R") train. Get off at the Camucia-Cortona Station, where there is a local bus line up the hill to Cortona proper. On the schedule, the bus stop is at "Camucia-Stazione."

www.ferroviedellostato.it (Trenitalia train)

www.lfi.it (local bus to Cortona)

www.lfi.it/orari_linee_etr_mob/LFSU4.pdf

Edited: 07 December 2009, 09:39
Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Cortona
Cortona
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to Cortona

Thanks so much, I am new to all this and had not expected to get a response so quickly.

I will check out the links you sent, and hopefully I will get there.

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to Cortona

Hi,

I just wanted to warn you that once you do get to Cortona, there's not a whole lot to do for more than 2 days -- other than travel in the area, for which a car really is best. The local bus service can take you to see as far as Arezzo, or to the town next to Cortona, Castiglion Fiorentino.

There are plenty of B+B's in Cortona. I have heard good things about "Il Girasole".

Cheers

Alexandra

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Arezzo
Arezzo
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,834 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to Cortona

To travel around the Tuscan countryside, you really need a car. It's not easy to do by public transport.

Driving in Tuscany (outside major cities such as Florence) is easy. I'm 64 and I can manage it with no problem.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to Cortona

Dont really want to incur cost of hiring car and have heard/read nightmare stories of people who have hired cars in Florence and then months later had huge fines add to their credit cards for driving in a no car zone or similar whie trying to get out of the city. Perhaps if I could hire a car OUTSIDE a major city then I might consider that an option

Thanks for all the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,834 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to Cortona

I commented that driving the Tuscan countryside is easy: I would never drive into Florence.

You could pick up a hire car at Florence Airport or at Arezzo, and thus avoid the city while still having the convenience of a car. Australians can often get a good rate by booking well in advance with one of the major companies. Check out

www.europcar.it

www.hertz.it

www.avisautonoleggio.it

www.autoeurope.com

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Arezzo
Arezzo
Charlotte
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to Cortona

Just got back from Italy a month ago and Cortona pleasantly surprised me more than anywhere else. We stayed at B&Bs everywhere except Cortona. We stayed at Villa Marsili and it was a beautiful hotel and they were so helpful. It also happened to be the least expensive place we stayed at as well. You won't be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Cortona
Cortona
Roma
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport to Cortona

Hi,

Cortona is my favourite get away and I am sure you will love it too.

The closest train station is Camucia (a couple of km downhill) while the second closest option would be Terontola (8 km from Cortona); from both you can either get a cab or a bus to Cortona.

To book trains or check the train schedule use: www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html which is the official website of the Italian railway company (owned by the state).

Regarding B&Bs I have stayed in a few myself but the one that seems to suit your needs is the "Locanda Petrella" (www.petrella26.com) which is walking distance from all the main attractions and located right beside the high street (Via Nazionale) and a hundred meters from Piazza Garibaldi (which is where I belive the bus station is). Also the place is never too busy as the owners tend not to do any advertising, for the same reason the price is very reasonalbe (40 euros per person per night). Check the official site as they do have a few information on how to get to Cortona by train.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Piazza Garibaldi
Piazza Garibaldi
189 Reviews
Cortona, Italy
9. Re: Transport to Cortona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 12:16