We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wireless Broadband in Sinalunga Tuscany

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Wireless Broadband in Sinalunga Tuscany

We are staying in a farmhouse 6 kms from Sinalunga for two weeks in June this year and I need to know what the options are for internet connection.I will have my laptop. If I have an unlocked USB modem will I be able to get a SIM card in Italy and if so is there a " best" service provider? What are the costs? Or would I be best to get a data SIM and use it in my cell phone which is what I did with success in South Africa? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Eremo Le Celle
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Sacred & Religious Sites
Cetona's Belvedere
Cemeteries, Caverns & Caves
Museo Diocesano
Speciality Museums
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wireless Broadband in Sinalunga Tuscany

Given what you say, I think you'll be able to use the phone in Italy. You can buy the SIM card at a phone store,an electronics store, or at a household appliances store with a phone provider sign outside (TIM or Vodafone, usually, although there are others). Ask them for a supplement to use the internet, and let them help you to get it going. It doesn't cost much altogether, so I thiink it's worth the try. My experiences with public Wifi in Italy are pretty discouraging.

Tomale, how fast is your connection?

Maybe you already know this, but a lot of web sites have a version especially designed for the smaller screen of a phone. Sometimes the server detects that you're using a phone and gives you that version automatically, or sometimes the phone version begins with "mobile" instead of "www".

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
933 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wireless Broadband in Sinalunga Tuscany

Thanks bvlenci, that is really encouraging news. I have heard that wifi in Italy is not always good, that's why I am so interested in this possibility of using my phone.

I have seen some of the websites that use the mobile version, they pop up on my I-touch a lot. I don't intend to spend all my precious time in Italy on the web, but it would be great for quick e-mails to the kids and maybe finding a place to eat on occasion.

Thanks again for all your help.

13. Re: Wireless Broadband in Sinalunga Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 12:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question