We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

Hey everyone,

I would be very grateful if anyone could recommend me a place (preferably a farm) in the vicinity of Florence (the closer to Fiesole, the better) to buy larger quantities of good, easily drinkable white table wine (in bag-in-box, containers, whatever). I want to avoid Esselunga etc. Tips for relevant wine labels also very appreciated!

Buona serata a tutti

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,336 Reviews
from US$106.90*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
781 Reviews
from US$106.90*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,383 Reviews
from US$106.90*
9 replies to this topic
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
5,118 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

Hi! I'am not aware of farms, but in historic town there's - along with others - this reputed property which sells bulk wine:

https:/…divino-sara-vestri

For relevant wine labels consider - inter alia - this shop:

http://www.enotecagambi.it/contatti.html

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

Thank you, Brun066, looks very good! In the meantime, I have come across http://www.lafiaschetteriadellecure.it/ which might be of some use to others.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

Finding vino sfuso is easy in Florence and elsewhere. If you google ""vino sfuso" "fiesole" you will get a whole bunch of hits.

The problem is finding "good, easily drinkable white table wine". Obviously it all depends on how you define your terms, but -- in Tuscany -- it is a whole lot easier to find "good, easily drinkable" red wine than white wine, and, in my experience, it is a whale of a lot easier to find "good, easily drinkable" wine of either variety in Essalunga -- or at Conad -- than at any vino sfuso place I've ever had experience with -- and much of it is really dirt cheap -- at least by my standards.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

I so agree. I always keep a few litres of sfuso red for cooking or the odd glass or two if I'm on my own and don't want to open a bottle but even our tried and trusted local suppliers of that make a b awful white equivalent that's either thin and weak or acidic to the point of paint stripper. If you can't drink red and just want to drink a large quantity of white wine for the sake of drinking a large quantity of white wine then you'll find it easily enough but with perfectly drinkable whites retailing for €3 - €4 a bottle that would be a safer bet. You will easily find bottles of Galestro or even Vernaccia di San Gimignano for that in - dare I say it - Esselunga or any other supermarket, supermarkets being one of the best places in this country for selection and prices when it comes to buying wine.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,077 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

"the odd glass or two ". Yeah, right 😇

Australia
Level Contributor
4,507 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

Fifty years ago 👻 this was basically what everyone drank. Or everyone I knew. Around the corner from home in Via del Governo Vecchio in Rome were two ancient shops: the sale e tabacchi dealing with the old taxables, salt and tobacco and the Vini e Olii selling the staples of life wine and oil. In those days there were about 1000 lire to the USD. There was a point between the 70 lire and the 100 lire per litre where I was reminded I'd made a mistake again. This of course Rome, the wine, if such it was, white.

Fancy dudes of the burgeoning middle class were just beginning to chase fancy labels. Notably a heavily advertised wine labelled Ferrari. Some would travel great distances in fancy cars because they heard that there was a shop somewhere with a special Ferrari varietal.... Until the Guardia di Finanza began following quantities of sugar, also in those days taxed. And unearthed or unplugged the secret of "Un buon vino, Ferrari" as it was advertised. Made in swimming pools from diverse ingredients including according to reports of a trial, "the scum of banana boats".

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

@ Pericoloso, LOL! Very funny  but sorry to say it is rarely more than the odd glass of sfuso for me for that’s my point, for just a few Euros more you can find far nicer stuff nowadays as the quality of wine from even the smaller producers has improved beyond all recognition. Down here for instance you can find a very drinkable Orcia DOC sitting alongside sfuso in the farmer’s cellar, sometimes for as little as a couple of Euros a bottle if you buy enough of it.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,077 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

I feel the same - I only get blotto on good quality wine 😇

I bought a bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo in my local Lidl for £4 yesterday and it is very drinkable

Edited: 07 June 2018, 14:39
Adelaide
Level Contributor
480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?

I've tried a few different vin sfuso during my times in Florence and I have to say i have not rushed back for more as I find the reasonably priced bottled wine lastraniera is referring to much more palatable.

Reply to: Vino bianco sfuso - where to buy in bulk for great value?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted