We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Topic
Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Hello! A girlfriend and I are coming to Florence for a group yoga retreat from Oct 18-23. We wanted to start in Venice for a few days before heading to Florence and flights are much cheaper to do roundtrip from Chicago to Venice. It seems pretty easy to take a direct train from Venice to Florence. My question is for after the yoga retreat ends. We were thinking of flying out of Venice on the 24th. Could anyone recommend a place to visit for one night in between Florence and Venice - assuming we would fly out of Venice the next afternoon at 3pm?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,168 Reviews
from US$107.40*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,584 Reviews
from US$101.40*
US$136.00
Free Cancellation
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,317 Reviews
from US$107.40*
Free Cancellation
9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Why don't you head to Florence to start and then end in Venice which minimizes moving around? Yes, train is the best way to get between Florence and Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Rountrip flights are about $1000 cheaper to and from Venice vs. Florence.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

I think reply #1 was suggesting that you should head for Florence immediately after landing at Venice, spend some time on Florence, then visit Venice so that you are already in your departure city on your day of departure. If you do this, take a bus or taxi from the airport to Mestre station on the mainland, and take a train from there.

The fast trains between Venice and Florence stop only at Bologna and Padova, so your choice is limited unless you spend a lot of time on slow trains. Either would be a good place to spend a night or two.

For the best prices on the fast trains, book direct with the train operator soon after tickets go on sale, usually 4 months to 6 months before travel. The cost of discounted tickets keeps going up as the travel date gets closer. You can get train times and prices and make bookings at www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or its competitor on major routes, www.italotreno.it/en using the Italian versions of town names for both sites.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Yes sydneynick that was my suggestion - thank you! I would land in Venice and go straight to Florence. Yes, it is a longer travel day but we have done similar scenarios and it will save you precious vacation time later on.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Thank you for the suggestions! The problem is that we are limited in time after the group trip and need to return on the 24th.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

People might be able to provide better help, if you are a bit more specific with the dates. Are you arriving in Venice on the 18th? When is your yoga retreat?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

The yoga retreat starts at 3pm on the 18th in Florence and ends on the 23rd there at 10am. So we were thinking of flying out of the US to Venice on the evening of the 14th and returning from Venice on the afternoon of the 24th. Does that make more sense?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Yes, it does. Bologna is only about 35-40 minutes by train from Florence and Padova is only 30 minutes from Venice by train. Have you considered leaving Venice early on the 17th and going to either of the cities the day before the retreat instead of on the 23rd and spending the afternoon of the 23rd/morning of the 24th in Venice? You could also see either of the two cities as a day trip which could reduce the number of times you have to transfer luggage.

If it were me while I would want to visit Bologna, I think I would choose to do a day trip to Padova from Venice on the 16th or 17th and then either go straight from Florence to Venice after the retreat on the 23rd and spend the last night there or spend the last night in Florence and catch an early train to Venice on the 24th. To me the time wasted checking in and out of hotels and transferring luggage would make a staying in Bologna or Padova not really worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Reply to: Venice to Florence to Venice Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted