We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

Big fan of AirBnB; however I have never been asking to send proof of identification prior to arrival via private email or text message. Our host (who is highly reviewed and rated as a super host on the website) has requested the information and says it is Italian Law to send the information into authorities... is this true? I am hesitant about giving someone such sensitive information.

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,168 Reviews
from US$107.40*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,584 Reviews
from US$101.40*
US$136.00
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,317 Reviews
from US$107.40*
18 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,300 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

It is Italian law - doesn't matter what happens elsewhere.

If staying in a B&B or hotel (or even some apartments) they will request it upon your arrival, make a copy (as your presence is registered with the authorities) -

You might ask if your host will accept waiting for your arrival. If not, it is up to you to do so or find somewhere else to stay

Level Contributor
583 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

Yes, hosts have to inform the police of your stay and to do that they need an ID. Usually they ask it upon arrival, though.

London
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

Yes it is required by Italian law. Anywhere that does not take your details is not only breaking that law, but also probably not insured properly.

The details are logged onto a application that is used by the Italians, both to monitor movements, level of trade and also to allocate funds/budgets for the tourist industry.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

It seems to be normal in Italy we got asked the same in Rome

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,300 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

It doesn't "seem to be normal" - it is the law.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

Our AirBNBs in Italy did not require ID be sent beforehand. They did ask to see it on arrival. If it's an inconvenience, look elsewhere, if not, go ahead and send.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

Our AirBnB in Florence did ask for our passport photos by email before we arrived, as she wasn't going to be there to greet us. The others all took photos of our passports when we checked in.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,871 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

Some will ask for it beforehand in order to speed up the check in process. Ask if you can do it when you get there and if they say know you'll need to decide if you want to find another place or send your information. I've done it many times without incident.

Donna

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

As others have said, it's the law, and anyway, your passport is not "very sensitive information", it's a travel document that had your name and birth place...

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,967 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID

I have never stayed in an AirBnB in Italy, but I think every hotel I have ever stayed in has taken my passport upon checkin and kept it for a couple of hours or so, I can see how an AirBnB host might want this ahead of time as they may not even be there when you arrive, leaving you to pick up the keys from an agent..

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Reply to: AirBnB Host Asking for Proof of ID
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted