We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question? Anyone familiar with his hotel & area. We booked this for 5 nights based on reviews/price etc. We didn't opt for breakfast. Was wondering if someone can help me with some questions about the area:

1) Per google, it stays from Firenze S.M.N to the hotel, it is about 19 mins walk (1.5 km). We'll have 1 carry on luggage per person day we arrive. Is it piratical to walk, or should we take a taxi?

2) Any recommendation for breakfast around the area? We would like some options for quick breakfast before heading out.

3) Any recommendation for lunch/dinner?

4) Is it safe in general to walk around in evening say like 9pm or so? Reviews of hotels were all good - didn't see any concern from anyone, but just something good to know.

4) Typically how late can you expect sun light in Florence in July?

Mentioned in this post
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
344 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
13 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

rozario2018

Once again, I'm afraid you will not welcome any advice I have to offer. You asked, and I feel a truly silly responsibility to respond.

I know nothing about the hotel's facilities or its services.

The location is seriously problematic.

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with that part of town. It is in what was a new, upper-middle-class neighborhood built up in the latter part of the 19th century. Most of those big old buildings have now been broken up into offices. My wonderful geometre has his handsome offices just down the street, and my lawyer used to be a couple minutes' walk away. Like all of Florence, it's perfectly safe to walk anywhere at anytime.

The downside is that it's a boring part of town -- nothing of any interest was built there.

And it's a long, long, long and very uninteresting walk to anything of any interest. And to make that walk in July will be a real killer.

More importantly, it is outside the "Viale" -- the wide ring-road where the city's walls used to be. And it is outside right at the Piazza Liberta -- a huge traffic circle with some of the the worst traffic jams in Europe. Walking across those multiple lanes of bumper-to-bumber traffic at any hour of the day or night is not a whole lot of fun.

If you have any interest in seeing anything of interest in Florence, that is going to involve a great deal of walking -- not including the walk to and from the hotel. The streets, the museums, the palaces and churches, the cloisters, etc., etc., are designed to destroy tourists. One tried and true method for dealing with that is to take a break, scuttle back to your hotel, rented apartment, whatever, sit down, and take a load off of your feet,

If you're going to be walking everywhere, and if you are staying in the Via Lorenzo il Magnifico, you simply won't be able to do that. The inevitable result will be that either seeing much of anything in Florence will be far more painful than it has to be, or you will spend a whole lot of time -- and money -- sitting in cafes and drinking very expensive glasses of water, or whatever, or you will decide not to see all that much of Florence.

There are several cafes around the Piazza Liberta. The Cafe Liberta -- just at the eastern end of the Via Lorenzo il Magnifico is easily the best known of them. The coffee and the pastries are good. There's a celebrated old restaurant, Perseus, in the Viale Don Minzoni -- just east of the Piazza. I've eaten there a couple of times and didn't think it lived up to its reputation.

I love walking in Florence, and I know the central part of it -- including the Piazza Liberta area -- pretty well. I wouldn't dream of walking from the railroad station to that hotel with luggage. If it were me, I would splurge and take a taxi.

As for sunsets and sunrises, google really is your friend. Google "sunrise" and "sunset" and the name of wherever you're thinking about, and a whole raft of websites will pop up which will give you precise times for each and every day.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
The Piazza
The Piazza
35 Reviews
Sveti Stefan, Montenegro
Europe
Europe
World
Perseus
Perseus
3,677 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Albion, New York
Level Contributor
931 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

Venerosi is right about the distance factor concerning your hotel. Last year we stayed on the Via Minzoni which is about the same distance from the ‘center’ of town as is your hotel. If you have no trouble walking all day you’ll likely be fine. On the other hand the distance might preclude any quick dash back to your room for a shower before dinner or that sort of thing. It’s not a deal-breaker but it is something to consider. As for safety, we had no qualms about walking about well after dark. Many Italians don’t even get out and about for the evening until after the sun goes down.

Edited: 22 June 2018, 08:40
Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

Venerosi & HenionJD - many thanks for giving me the both sides (sort of the good cop bad cop routine lol).

We are used to walking/staying outside all day (lot of practice from Disney World :) ... easily can become a 5-10 miles walk per day) So I was not really planning to get back to hotel mid day. If anything I can take a cab.

So if i get it correctly: Take a cab from Train station to hotel with luggage. Which i thought would be likely.

And good to know it is safe to walk around after dark

Venerosi - thanks for the tips on breakfast area/resturants.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

rozario2018

Comparing Florence with Disneyworld may not be a good first step in planning.

Walking the same number of miles in two different locations may have wildly different effects.

Travel to places one doesn't know is, inevitably, a learning experience. Learning can be expensive -- in many different ways.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

Venerosi - are you the resident wise guy or something? I'm not comparing Disney world to Florence. Just stating we've done long days, in hot weather with lot of walking.

You would be master of convincing people not to go on vacation lol.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Florence
Florence
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

rozario2018

Obviously you don't get it. My goal is not "convincing people not to go on vacation lol".

I'm trying to help people avoid unpleasant surprises.

The only way I know to do that is to provide whatever accurate information I have. If you choose not to use that information, of course that is entirely your right.

Edited: 22 June 2018, 23:40
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

If you’re used to 5-10 miles per day of walking, you’ll be fine. Your hotel is a little out of the way, but not hugely so. There are traffic lights and crosswalks to get across the Viale, so that’s not a problem. There are also busses that run from Piazza della Libertad down Via Cavour towards the Duomo.

Once you cross the Viale, you will be fairly close to the San Lorenzo market area, San Marco, the Medici-Riccardi Palace, and the Accademia. Right around the corner from the Accademia is one of my favorite lesser-known museums in Florence: the Museum of Precious Stones. It displays beautiful Florentine-style mosaics and shows how they are made.

Enjoy your time in Florence!

Mentioned in this post
San Lorenzo market
San Lorenzo market
1,138 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

"fairly close" is, obviously, a term subject to multiple interpretations. To be a bit precise: The distance from the south side of the Piazza Liberta to the area around San Lorenzo, Palazzo Medici Riccardi, etc., is about 1.3 km.

I'd be curious to know how accurate people on this board would consider that description after making that walk on a hot July day.

The museum referred to is actually the Opificio delle Pietra Dura, which means the "Workshop of Hard Stone".

It is an autonomous institute of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism -- which also owns the Uffizi, the Piti, the Bargello, the Archeologico, etc., etc.

"Pietra Dura" and "mosaics" are not synonyms. "Mosaic" is using any of a whole bunch of things -- pieces of glass, hardened paste, crockery, metal, stone, or whatever, to create decorative designs for use in floors, walls, tables, other pieces of furniture, or simply decorations. Normally, each piece of a mosaic is independently cemented or glued and there is grout surrounding each piece.

"Pietra dura" is the art of doing the same thing with pieces of hard stone -- sometimes including semi-precious stones, such as lapus lazuli, rarely including precious stones. The stones are carved, taking advantage of the changes in coloration, to make designs, pictures, whatever. When done right, the stones are cut and polished so that it can be almost impossible to see -- or even feel -- where one piece of stone ends and another begins.

The Opificio was established in 1588 (the year of the Spanish Armada) by Archduke Ferdinando I. You will see its masterpieces in in furniture and furnishings throughout the Uffizi, the Pitti, the Palazzo Vecchio, etc., etc.

Another artform, called "scagliola", uses gypsum, natural pigments, etc., to imitate pietra dura. You can find lovely works of scagliola in many shops in Florence.

The Pietra Dura has two separate functions: On the one hand, it has the tiny museum to show people how the art is performed. On the other hand, it is one of Italy's two great, national centers for the restoration of truly important artworks, and it is one of the world's leading schools for training people to do that.

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Medici Riccardi
Palazzo Medici Riccardi
740 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
7,832 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
Albion, New York
Level Contributor
931 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

I’m certainly not arguing your point. The walk from the center of town to this area stops being terribly interesting from the tourist point of view after you pass Piazza San Marco. I’ve done it in the heat in July and it does become something of a slog. My point is that the distance isn’t impossible but it will put the OP’s hotel a bit out of range for a quick visit for a shower (or nap for us old folks). Some folks are okay with that and some of us like to clean off the dust of the day before a nice dinner.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 21:33
Mentioned in this post
Piazza San Marco
Piazza San Marco
193 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?

Thanks, Venerosi, for providing the detailed description of the Museum of Precious Stones. I think more people should see that fascinating place.

Reply to: Palazzo Lorenzo Hotel area question?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted