We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Art

Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Art

Hi all,

I wanted your oppinion concerning Uffizi, Pitti and Boboli gardens. Can we see them all in one day? If not, which should we not miss?

Also, I'm more of a modern art fan ( for example Picasso, Kahlo, Van Gogh...). Are there any galleries you can suggest?

Grazie

Mentioned in this post
Boboli
Boboli
440 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
8 replies to this topic
Albion, New York
Level Contributor
895 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Art

Can you see them all in one day? No. The Uffizi will take several hours and the Pitti Palace will consume half a day even without visiting the garden.

If you are into modern art, Florence probably isn’t really the place to go. There are numerous smaller galleries and a museum dedicated to Marino Marino but the overwhelming focus of the city’s collections is on Renaissance painting and sculpture. Even the ‘Modern Art’ Gallery of the Pitti Palace focuses in works before the Secong World War.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Art

Ok, thanks for the info!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Art

I would skip the Boboli gardens and concentrate on the galleries instead. The gardens are pleasant enough but you get a good view of them from the windows of the Pitti. Plus, if coming in summer it will be hot wandering around and it's not as though they are full of pretty flowers.

Mentioned in this post
Boboli
Boboli
440 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
Level Contributor
581 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Art

The last time I was in Florence I enjoyed Museo Novecento (there was a great temporary exibitition). You may check their website to see if it appeals to you. A great thing is that it is non-touristy. We were the only visitors!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Museo Novecento
Museo Novecento
153 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Art

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Art

There is nothing whatsoever that you "cannot miss" (anywhere: we humans differ in our tastes and interests and there is no "one-size-fits-all" list of "must-sees", "must-dos" etc.) - and neither do you have to spend as long in art galleries or museums as some other people like to do. When it is crowded, I can't take the Uffizzi for more than an hour or two at a time, "several hours" would kill me - and that is not for lack of interest in the contents. Ditto the Pitti Palace.

I also refute the claim that Florence is not a place to visit for modern/contemporary art: the city is full of art schools training contemporary artists, and makes a point of trying to keep renewing its artistic heritage, even if most of its visitors are focused on the Renaissance. See e.g. musefirenze.it/en/mostre/eliseomattiacci/ and Le Murate under http://musefirenze.it/en/attivita/

Depending on what sort of art you like, you MIGHT like to visit the Rose Garden with modern sculptures by Folon: arttrav.com/florence/… (it also has a Japanese corner). If you are visiting Piazzale Michelangelo (bus #13), it is just below it and to the left.

Edited: 03 July 2018, 04:49
Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
27,904 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Australia
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Art

This list of events will help.

http://www.firenzetoday.it/eventi/

If you are there in time the “Birth of a Nation: from Guttuso to Fontana” exhibition is a a a ... a must. :-)

firenzetoday.it/eventi/mostra-nascita-nazion…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
588 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Art

Personally, Boboli Gardens was our ONLY disappointment on our Italy trip.

Mentioned in this post
Giardino di Boboli
Giardino di Boboli
3,888 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Reply to: Art
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted