We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence between Christmas and New Year

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Florence between Christmas and New Year

Hello,

We are in the initial planning stages of a trip to Italy from California. We plan to spend a couple of days in Rome (we've been there before) and reach Florence on 26th and stay there till the 31st. I'm trying to figure out if many of the attractions will be closed during the holidays. We enjoy walking, sightseeing, visiting historical buildings but not necessarily spending a lot of time in museums and galleries. Also, will the weather be reasonable for walking around? We would like to do a day trip to Siena if time permits. We will use public transport only.

Any suggestions/recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks,

SS

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,453 Reviews
from US$105.10*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
804 Reviews
from US$105.10*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,429 Reviews
from US$105.10*
3 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Florence between Christmas and New Year

Rest assured the weather will be far more comfortable for those wanting to walk around than it has been for the last six weeks or so. Remember - no such thing as inclement weather just the wrong clothes so pack accordingly. I've been in Florence heaven knows how many times during that period in December - 20 plus at least - and with the exception of one visit have always found it cold enough to merit a proper winter coat, hat and scarf. Sometimes, whilst walking longer distances in the midday sun I may want to shed my coat but it's only momentarily. On at least 3 or 4 visits over the course of the last twenty years we've seen snow between Christmas and New Year. More often then not it's just cold, a cold that is intensified by the bitter north wind that is funnelled through the narrow streets. It can be a bit rainy too. However, please don't let this put you off though for it is a good time to come. From the 26th December onwards the city will be pleasantly busy with primarily local tourists, it's one of the few periods during the winter when I would strongly recommend you pre-booked entries at galleries. I would also suggest you pre-booked dinners perhaps when passing by a day in advance.

East Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
193 posts
2. Re: Florence between Christmas and New Year

I heard its very busy during that time

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,247 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Florence between Christmas and New Year

#3:

You can't sell your stuff on here.

It is against Forum rules.

Your Post has been reported for advertising / solicitation.

Reply to: Florence between Christmas and New Year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted