We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Hello, I will be staying in Pisa for a few days and so I would like to visit other areas of Italy whilst I am there and we'll be heading to Florence one day. However, I am undecided between Lucca and Monterosso. The length of the journey does not bother me and both appeal. Is Monterosso worth a visit and is there enough to warrant a full day trip? or is Lucca the better choice as I have not got time to visit both.

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Which is better depends entirely on your interests and priorities. Lucca is a charming walled city with many interesting churches and museums. Monterosso is a pretty seaside village that is likely to be crowded to the point of being unpleasant.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Thanks for your response! Is Monterosso always very busy, or just during peak summer seasons? I’m drawn towards Monterosso as this seems quite different from Florence and Lucca. Is there enough to see/do in Monterosso to fill a full day? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Hi, I've been to both a few days ago. Would agree with other response but I absolutely loved Lucca. It's relaxing, plenty to see, do at your own pace and if you don't want to walk you can hire bike between 3-4 euros for an 1hr. There is also a Puccini concert on at 6.45pm, live opera singers and pianist, its part of the Puccini Festival at 20 euros its def worth it. The train station is opposite the entrance and you can't get lost.

Monterosso is lovely but more seaside if you want to do a bit of sun bathing after visiting the town. I would recommend you watch YouTube video 'Rick Steves','Europe' and search Lucca/Cinque Terre. His video are short and interesting. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Thank you for your reply! I’ll have a look at the videos! :)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
187 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Both are as different as can be.. Lucca is a pretty little town which is less than an hour away. The walled city with it's narrow lanes and small piazzas which are very pretty. It will certainly have less tourists than Monterosso.

Monterosso though the only town of the Cinque terre to have a beach is the biggest and least pretty. Plus if there is a cruise ship in dock at a nearby port the Cinque terre is uncomfortably crowded.

Having been to both I would recommend Lucca over Monterosso.

U can see photos of the same and read about my time in both these places on www.yogictravel.in

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

Thank you for your response! I am planning to visit either on a Sunday, do you think this will effect either trip?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?

I say Lucca! It is a lovely walled town and so easy to walk or bike around.

One of my favourite memories from 2 trips to Italy is sitting at an outside table in Lucca just watching the well dressed Italians going about their day.

Having said that, I loved Monterosso too but I would not suggest it just as a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Italians
Italians
140 Reviews
Chieti, Italy
Reply to: Pisa day trip to Lucca or Monterosso?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted