We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena or Montepulciano

Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Siena or Montepulciano

Will be in Tuscany first week of October following 3 days in Rome and 2 nights in Chianti.

Initial plan was to,stay in Siena but found accommodation that suits 2 couples well in Montepulciano.

Would appreciate advice, especially around accessibility to restaurants and where the opportunity to experience local culture/ people in the evening.

Thanks very much.

12 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

I would choose Montepulciano then do a day trip to Siena.

Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

Thanks for your response. May I ask your reasons?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
322 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

Both choices will give you what you want...local culture and evening walks/locals ...both wonderful historic and magical at night...Siena is centrally located near Firenze and the Chianti Classico region as opposed to montepulciano which is a distance but also is close to other beautiful towns and the montepulciano wine region..Siena is busier ( day trippers flood this town, then gets quiet after they leave) with more to see and do in the area....too hard to choose one for me as I love both towns and areas around them.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

I enjoy the small town village feel of Montepulciano. Getting to know the local shop keepers, and the wine tasting within town; the lovely small restaurants, and of course the amazing views.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

How many days do you have available for does it have to be either or? You can't squeeze in a night in Siena with the remainder in Montepulciano? This would give you two very different but, I would argue, equally as enjoyable experiences. Or perhaps drop one of the two nights in the Chianti in favour of an overnight in Siena for it is very special and more than merits staying.

Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

Staying 5 nights total but prefer not to move too many times - prefer a bit iof a base to avoid too many check ins.

Chianti was to give me my countryside experience. My friend prefers to be in walking distance of restaurants in the evening and agree that's a plus so divided time between both. Having more of a challenge getting accommodation for 2 couples in Sienna that satisfy all.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
322 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

Greve or Castellina would give you that countryside experience..in Greve we stay at Podere Campriano, an easy 7 min walk thru vineyards to town for food, shopping and strolling....wonderful hill towns and wineries within 20 min drive and a few nice restaurants and enotecas right in town so no worries driving curvy dark Tuscan roads after dinner ...Castellina is similar except it is a real hill town..we love the palazzo squarcialupi in Castellina but have been staying in Greve at the Podere once we discovered how incredible the property and owners are !

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

But we're slap bang in the middle of the countryside too, and some reckon what you look out onto from Montepulciano is even more enticing than from Castellina. What sort of accommodation are you looking for - an apartment or more hotel in style?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
322 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

I love montepulciano, the locanda di San Francesco, nobile di montepulciano wine and the views...I love Castellina and Greve too ...to insure staying where I want, I usually book much earlier than 3.5 months out ..Montepulciano , Castellina, Greve or Anywhere close to these towns , you will not be disappointed!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
104 reviews
10. Re: Siena or Montepulciano

Is San Quirico a good location? Is the town active enough in the evening before or after dinner?

Reply to: Siena or Montepulciano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena