We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

Hello all,

I will take a day trip to the Sherlock Holmes Museum in Meiringen and also the Reichenbach Falls this week, traveling from Wengen.

I can go thru Interlaken Ost and get there in 1:24, but I wonder if going via Grosse Scheidegg (~ 3 hours if I take the train to Grindelwald via Zweilütschinen) might be worth the extra time.

Two hours of bus rides would be okay if the scenery is especially nice.

If you recommend going via Grosse Scheidegg, should I make that leg in the morning or in the evening ... i.e. which direction has the nicest views? (I'll go thru Interlaken at 1:24 on one leg)

Thanks for your opinion.

Elementary my dear Watson ;-)

Andy

EDW
Warrington, England
Level Contributor
249 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

I would say it is worth going via Grosse Scheidegg, as long as you don't mind hair-pin bends. If you are up to a walk, then you could get off the postbus at the top of the Reichenbach Falls, walk down to the top of the funicular and then go down to Meiringen by funicular - there is then a bit of a walk into the centre of Meiringen. I'm sorry I can't advise you on which direction to go for the views. We have only done the trip by going via Grosse Scheidegg and returning via Interlaken, the advantage being that the trains via Interlaken are reasonably frequent and so we never have to worry about connections.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

I'd do the Grosse Scheidegg leg on your return as you will then be more directly facing the views which are positively stunning. However, as EDW notes, you need to be mindful of the bus schedule as busses are less frequent than train service.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

There is a leaflet published for this trip called something like Grosse Scheidegg round trip. You can buy a round ticket which also includes the boat.

Autoverkehr Grindelwald AG - Grosse Scheidegg / Round trip

www.grindelwaldbus.ch/56_eng_Roundtrip.html

The timetable on the leaflet will help you decide which way round fits your schedule best. As you want to see the Reichenbach falls you can doas has been suggested get off above the falls _ the stop is Zwirgi and then take the funicular down and either walk into Meiringen or get the bus. As you want to do the falls you might want to do Interlaken - Brienz on the boat, pick up a train to Meiringen. Then walk to the falls take the funicular up to them. Then continue up the path and pick up a bus at Zwirgi to Scharzwaldalp where you change buses .

However if you want to visit the Sherlock Holmes museum in Meiringen you need to be in Meiringen in the afternoon so probably Grindelwald - Grossescheidegg - Schwarzwaldalp - Zwirgi - Reichenbach Falls - Aareschluct- Meiringen museum train to Brienz boat to Interlaken would be best

The views are wonderful either way. But I love coming down the Rosenlaui valley with the Hasliberg spread out before you. Even Titlis in the distance on a clear day

I'd look at the timetables and see what fits best for you.

Gibel

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

Thanks to you three for the timely and helpful responses.

I'm going to take an early train, see Reichenbach Falls, the Aare Gorge, get into Meiringen for the museum, and then take the bus to Grindelwald via Grosse Scheidegg.

I appreciate the time you took to answer.

Andy

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

Have a wonderful time. I shall be there soon!

Gibel

6. Re: Opinions needed, Wengen to Meiringen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 22:15