We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

Hi

Just back from a great weekend trip in Stresa . We have one days saver day pass on Wednesday and may plan for gruyeres. We wanted to have the Rosti. Should we try a place in Geneva (any recommendations ? Or Gruyere ?

Thank you for your time

Mentioned in this post
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
13 replies to this topic
paris london
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

Rösti is a Swiss-German dish, so technically neither. However as it is basically just pan-fried potatoes and therefore hard to screw up, any decent restaurant should be able to manage it

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

Thanks for the reply

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

You should nevertheless visit Gruyeres! :-)

https:/…Day.Trips.html

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

In Gruyères opt for local and regional specialities - cheese of course with cheese fondue (so called "moitié-moitié mainly), then "double crème" with meringues and/or ice-cream, or "double crème" with berries - "myrtilles" (comparable to blueberries), strawberries, raspberries, blackberries.

Rosti - better "Röschti" as pronounced with a long "ö" - comes from one of the Alemannic dialects (also spoken in SW Germany, Baden mainly), and at least historically not necessarily made from potatoes, but bread with apples, pears, eggs.

And I wish the different ways making "röschti" were that easy - never managed to come close to what my grandmother made ..... . One of the reasons "röschti" is not easily available in restaurants is time required to prepare "röschti" with the right crispy crust.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

Thank you swissdiver and jm2cents.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

Yesterday was in old town and ate Rosti at "Café du Bourg-de-Four". It was tasty but didn't resemble pics I have seen earlier where the potatoes are thinly sliced and have lots of cheese . This has heated potatoes .

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

Grated potatoes

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

Unfortunately Rösti have largely gone the way of pizzas and often don't resemble the real thing. Basically Rösti contain potatoes (preferably cooked the previous day) and butter (and maybe a little salt and nutmeg for flavouring).

Lots of places don't use butter, because you need lots of it, the potatoes soak it up, and if prepared properly, it takes a long time to prepare. The recipe I use says you pan-fry the grated potatoes gently for 20 minutes (after having already cooked them the previous day). Not many restaurants are going to do that.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

That is exactly what makes it delicious, the big amount of butter you add. I cook the potatoes at least two days ahead or if I cook potatoes in their peel for something else, I cook some more and plan a Rösti after two days. This avoids the potatoes being sticky.

There are however also areas where the Rösti traditionally is prepared with raw potatoes, but the amount of butter remains the same.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 14:56
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,616 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere

It is possible to have rösti with cheese but only as a variation of the basic, classic dish which is grated potatoes and as catmouse says a LOT of butter. Engadiner's point about cooking the spuds a day or more before and then grating them is essential. If you don't the potato all sticks together. It should come together to make the crust when cooking but not be what the British call "claggy".

Raw potato rösti is crisper than the cooked potato variety. Crunchy-er. (if that is a word!). To me they are very different and I make both...

Anyway Gruyères is not the place to find rösti. Fondue - yes. Especially the "moitié-moitié" That is wonderful - 50% Gruyere cheese and 50% Vacherin fribourgeois. (I would make a bet that jm2cents can make that perfectly!!)

Mentioned in this post
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
Reply to: Rosti - Geneve or Gruyere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted